• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Eating when depressed

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I'm finding it hard. I have learnt that the best things to have in the cupboard are plain crackers, like the multigrain ones that you can eat dry like you would crisps or biscuits.

Also i always have Actimel in the fridge.

They stop me feeling ill when i cannot make a meal yet or am not hungry but need to eat.

Anything else?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Nuts too. They are so important to me at the moment. Protein.

bpd2020

bpd2020

It sounds like you have some handy things to tempt you to eat when you are feeling depressed. I am the opposite as being depressed makes me eat more.

Murasakibee

Murasakibee

That's what I eat while depressed, except nuts because I am allergic to most nuts. I also eat healthy unsweet cereals like cheerios when I am feeling low and food hurts my stomach.

M

MouthyOne

Bananas and apples are a go to here. Always have a litre of water in the fridge as well to help get in 3 litres a day.

Some days I need something more and have stopped buying sweets and crisps because of the emotional eating. If it's not there I will not go out and buy too often ☺

M

MouthyOne

New one, just remembered. I sometimes to have a couple of boiled eggs in the fridge (already peeled) as a go to.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

i relate im trying so hard to lose weight but binged last night when i was low and stressed
breadsticks ,thin sliced meat if you eat it ,celery and carrot sticks and humous x

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
You are all so healthy!

I do have a packet of prunes, but they have been there for a long time.

Tinned fruit is handy to have
Tinned rhubarb and a tin of custard

I like to keep something with a long life in the back of the cupboard for when depression takes me off guard. At the moment i will make sure i have picking food that is fairly healthy. I think you can buy naked popcorn but not sure how expensive it is.

Pate and crackers is another good one. Some in jars have a long life on them.

I need to shop tomorrow and not sure what to buy. I was very lazy and had oven chips finally, and veggie fingers. Veggie fingers are easier than boiling veg and making a proper meal.

Vitamins are so important. I will get some crunchy peppers or carrots and hummus. I am so annoyed with myself just threw away loads of bendy carrots. I did eat all of the pears i bought though. I love pears but they take ages to ripen at home. Grapefruit is nice too.

Z

Zoe1

bananas , digestive biscuits, and mini falafels from Gosh
all things I can eat as a snack without it turning into a binge

sunset547544

sunset547544

Pitta breads very versatile also honey love it and some milk & butter. With all this you could make yourself a delicous honey butty with a nice glass of cold milk to go with it. Great thing to have before bed to make you feel sleepy.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I love honey too
I really do need something like nuts when i haven't eaten because i start to feel spacey. It is hard trying to eat good enough food isn't it. Sausage rolls in the oven and that sort of thing caused me to have vitamin deficiences, even though i was taking vitamins. I think i have to really eat those carrots whilst fresh, raw, and peppers and pears. I don't like bananas much but they are also good, even a banana sandwich is quite nice.