• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Eating, sleeping, and mental health

A_Wilted_Daisy

A_Wilted_Daisy

* Mods, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.

My sleeping habits have always been shit. It takes a long time to fall asleep and I toss and turn every couple of minutes. Even after I find a comfortable position, I can't stay there. When I finally do fall asleep, it's only for 3-4 hours. Once I wake up, I'm usually awake the rest of the night or I sleep very little. I'm lucky I've never had a problem functioning on such few hours. I don't nap because I can't sleep during the day and I know I'd sleep even less at night.

But my eating habits make my sleep habits look amazing. I have a miserable relationship with food. My whole family is messed up, but I'm the worst because I'm also extremely picky. I'll eat a banana sometimes and I'll even eat an apple, although it's been years since I had one. Raisins, too. Those are the only three fruits I eat. I do not eat vegetables. I've never even tried them. For food, I have a child's palate. What I exist on, for the most part, is pizza (usually cheese, but sometimes pepperoni), chicken nuggets/tenders & fries, and a cheeseburger a few times a month. I like all of my food plain. Sauces are not for me, but I don't mind a little ketchup for my fries. I'll also eat mac & cheese, hotdogs, popcorn or butterfly shrimp, Chef Boyardee mini ravioli, Campbell's bean with bacon soup, grilled cheese, salted peanuts, smooth peanut butter, and sausage biscuits. I have some Campbell's chicken noodle soup in the pantry, but I don't really like the chicken and I wish the noodles were shorter. (I'll buy chicken & stars from now on. lol) I don't like bread, so I don't eat sandwiches. I pull off the excess bun from hotdogs, only eating enough bread to cover the hotdog. These foods I'm listing are things I only eat once in a while. 95% of the time, it's pizza or chicken nuggets. I'm not big on breakfast foods these days, but I don't mind hard scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, plain waffles, and plain pancakes. When I first wake up, I take vitamins with either some yogurt, a banana, or a granola bar. Cereal without milk is okay, but I rarely eat it. I only drink water. I stopped drinking milk when I was 8, but I started drinking it again when I was about 32? Not often, though. I drank Coke, Dr. Pepper and root beer until I was 21 and then I dropped soda. I also used to like apple juice, but I stopped drinking juice a decade ago. For snacks, I like Goldfish crackers, cheese or peanut butter crackers, and popcorn. I don't eat chips. There is so much out there I've never tried. Food I'm not familiar with looks and smells funny to me. I have the world's biggest sweet tooth. I'll eat any milk chocolate that doesn't contain almonds, coconut, or nuts besides peanuts. I can eat such huge amounts, it's amazing I don't have Diabetes. Well, I don't think I do. But I cut way back in September, so I'm not inhaling pounds of candy a week anymore.

I was chubby most of my life. I carry my weight well because people always thought I weighed less than I did. And I never had trouble making friends or finding boyfriends, nor was I bullied. So I wasn't hugely fat, but I was never happy with how I looked. I always ate a lot of bad foods in large amounts. I finally decided to do something about it when I turned 30. I lost a lot of weight by counting calories and exercising. It was hard for me to stop losing weight, but I got past it, so I won't bring that up here. I just have to be careful because I push myself to do more, more, more. My metabolism isn't great, so I'm careful with portions. If my clothes start to feel snug, it's time to cut back. But I do, if needed, and I move on. Lately, I don't feel like eating and it's a real chore. It's not that I'm bored with my food since I've always eaten the same things. I just have little desire to eat. Trying new things is overwhelming. I know I need to eat better. I'm going to turn 43 in April. A lifetime of bad habits is going to catch up sooner rather than later. My parents have to take so many medications for cholesterol and blood pressure. My mom is considered pre-Diabetic. My dad has leaky heart valves. I'm sure there's a lot of other things wrong with them. I've been fortunate because I've never been sick. I've never been in the hospital, I've never had the flu or even food poisioning... Still, my time is coming. I don't have health insurance, but I'm the type of person who won't go to the doctor if I don't absolutely have to. I'm not afraid of the doctor, really. I'm afraid of bad news. I'd rather just let whatever is supposed to kill me kill me. Still, I don't want to die, either.

Why am I rambling? Who knows? Perhaps I hope to read back what I wrote and have something click in my head. I need better sleep and I need better food. Someone mentioned that a bad diet plays a role in chemical imbalances. I didn't know that, so I read up on it. They're right. That's another reason I'm thinking about my diet these days. I wish I could be an adult and just do what needs to be done. No way will I ever want to eat veggies, but I want to want to eat them. I'm not expecting anything to come from this thread. Thanks for reading if you made it to the end. lol

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I wonder if diet makes sleep patterns bad? Diet affects mood and mood affects sleep so it is possible.

I was just writing somewhere else that i thought chubby was cute. Curvy. I am female, and not gay, but i think that curvy, dark hair type look is really attractive. I am the opposite and never felt i looked very womanly.

It is important to be healthy though. My GP was telling me about vitamins and how bad my blood tests were. Medication can leach certain vitamins too and a pill every day is useless on its own.

We have to eat the rainbow. I like strong flavours now. I like goats cheese, olives, celeriac mash.

Just grab a carrot from the veg section and munch it on the way home. You might like it, you might sleep well.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Frozen fruit plus banana plus milk
blend
drink
so nice