Eating myself to death

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
So ive been feeling unwell generally. I saw the doctor who check my blood pressure which was 130/90. He says i need to lose weight to help lower my blood pressure and reduce my risk of diabetes. I'm getting a blood test on Thursday to check for diabetes.

Thing is i know im eating myself to death but i cannot stop. Food makes me happy in the short term until i think about what it is doing to my body and my health. Inside im a beautiful person but the outside does not match. On the outside im a mess.

I shouldnt care that i'm killing myself slowly, my mind is spinning.

D

DramaLlama

Could you ask your doctor if there is any support available to you for overeating - you might have Binge Eating Disorder. That should be (and, depending on your area, can be) taken as seriously as anorexia and bulimia.

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
Could you ask your doctor if there is any support available to you for overeating - you might have Binge Eating Disorder. That should be (and, depending on your area, can be) taken as seriously as anorexia and bulimia.
thank you for your reply.
The nurse will give me support, i know how to lose weight i just cant do it. Its a mental thing. I suffer from social anxiety so cannot even entertain the thought of a slimming group. That would distress me loads!
I know its down to me i really do.

write

write

I'm sorry you're struggling Foxjo x. I don't think anyone would suggest a slimming group to you, would likely trigger, wouldn't help and if you have an ED they don't accept anyway.There is little understanding for bingeing - BED, if this is what you are talking about (not sure)? Binge eating ED services are scarce and very hard to access if they do exist. But would agree with DramaLlama it would be worth asking about resources in your area as you never know there might be some support, expertise. I don't believe anyone can tackle this alone, sadly.

I don't know if you have an ED so am sorry am just writing from my experience here, I do have BED.

Can relate to being unable to stop eating and how much food covers up/hides/copes with. I eat to hide how I feel yet it shows so obviously on me physically. Awful. You aren't alone in struggling, so many are suffering.

BED is indeed a slow death sentence, I've been trying to get help with it for over 2 decades with no luck. Muddy waters when this co-exists with other complex mh stuff, the eating seems to get overlooked unless-perhaps- we are underweight.
As you say isn't about not knowing how to stop eating or how to lose weight, is more than this and is a mh condition just as anorexia and bulimia are.
I wish you well with trying to tackle the eating, try not to beat yourself up. This isn't a personal failing but a response to how you are trying to manage how you feel imo. xx

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
I dont know if i have an eating disorder i just know that i have an unhealthy relationship with food. It makes me high and happy and then it drops me like a stone when i realise im so fat and ugly. :cry2:

W

wheezey

I have Binge Eating Disorder and really struggle with food. I eat to stop me thinking of things I do not want to think of. The only thing in life that gives me any comfort is food. I had a course of Cognitive Analytic Therapy and it helped me understand the reasons I eat. This then reduced my urges to binge although the effects did not last. It is so hard to find support for over eating. It seems it is not taken seriously. I think losing weight when food is a crutch is so overwhelming. I am overweight but if I ever restrict food it only makes me binge. Advice given for people with BED is to have three meals a day and two snacks in between without the aim of losing weight as it triggers overeating. I understand your doctor has advised you to lose weight but maybe a focus on eating without a binge would be a way to start?

I apologise if I have said anything silly here.

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Forum Guide
I had a course of CAT for self harming behaviours that i had. It was very helpful. I will ask at the doctors when i see him next if more therapy would be helpful for me.
Thanks for your reply Wheezey

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi fox ,oh i feel for you i really do
i binge and overeat ,ive tried so hard to lose weight but food gives me comfort and fills a big gaping hole of emptiness

i don't know if you are aware but somerset started a losing weight support group on here in the eating disorders section

i have been using it

my PM is turned off for a week but when it is back on im happy to be your losing weight buddy if you like
i will try and encourage and motivate you to lose weight ,im heading for some serious health problems myself if i don't start to lose some weight

i wish you well
love lu

you can do it x

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
I hope you can get some support for your eating. I have had some therapy, although private for binge eating and although I am not cured I am much better overall.

mami5

mami5

I can totally understand where you are coming from Foxjo. I have been binge eating for years...and it shows! I was told last year that I was borderline diabetic and needed to lose weight. At the time I listened and tried to live a healthier life. I saw a nurse every other week to get weighed and support to keep me going. Fortunately, this worked and I lost 2 stones. However, things have changed since then. The nurse I used to see has left and the one I saw instead was not so supportive. She gave me the impression that I was wasting her time because I wasn't losing the weight. Due to this, and loads of other things going on, I stopped going and now the eating is as bad as ever and the weight is piling on once more. I don't think they realise that the comfort eating is part of our MHI and so difficult to stop. And as already mentioned on here it is not a recognised illness though it is serious and does effect our lives and physical health! I wish there was more support available and not just the media and everyone banging on about obesity all the time as if we deliberately want to look and feel like this.

I hope your diabetes test comes back normal and that you can get the much needed support to help you with this. Take care.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi FoxJo,
Sorry you are struggling, I too used to binge especially at night.
I've piled on weight due to taking aripipazole and are diabetic.
I've started losing weight due to a diabetic medication and cutting carbs and portion sizes.
Here to listen anytime.
You are brave, I know it's hard losing weight.
Take care

S

Stormcloud

I also binge eat, It is my comfort especially when I feel bad. I have tried slimming world and I did well for 6 months but I missed all the bad stuff to eat.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I over eat too. Have you thought about Over Eaters Anonymous? There is one is my town but I don't go. :hug: