• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Eating in a healthy way during recovery

E

EDrecovery05

(TW: Numbers, in case it triggers you)

Hey guys,
so I'm currently trying to recover on my own. I can't get professional help right now and I feel like I'm more comfortable taking matters into my own hands. I suffered from anorexia only a couple of months and I think I'm not too deep into my ED to help myself. Yesterday was when I actively tried to stop restricting and it was extremly emotional for me, but not really in a negative way, I was just overwhelmed because of how nice it felt that food was a taste instead of a number in that moment.

Now, I've read that it's completely normal but I've been experiencing a lot of mental hunger now and I find myself snacking on chocolate and candy quite often throughout the day. I decided to stop stepping onto the scale for now and I don't really have a specific goal weight for weight gain, but I remember being content with my weight considering my height when I first got into weight loss before I developed an eating disorder. Last time I checked my weight a few days ago, it was down a little. Maybe it's still my disordered way of thinking but I absolutely want to avoid going back to my pre ED weight because I was way way unhappier with my body than I am now.

Well, my problem is that I want to gain a bit and then maintain without falling into my ED spiral again. I'm sorry if this post is a bit everywhere, but I don't know how to approach it. I don't want to go from depriving my body of nutrients to stuffing myself at the slightest craving like I'm doing it now. I want to find a healthy balance and maybe build muscles, but I've lost my gut feeling telling me when I should be eating and how much is disordered or healthy or too much. I want to cut back on candy and late night snacking, but isn't that restriction too? Should I even count calories again? How much do you think is fine? How much snacking is too much? Is it okay to actively avoid eating after 7/8 pm?

jajingna

jajingna

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Apps for Healthy Eating Eating Disorders Forum 2
D Not eating Eating Disorders Forum 11
E I don’t know if I have an eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 2
B Fast food and eating disorder recovery Eating Disorders Forum 1
midnightphoenix Eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 3
E Periods and eating disorder recovery Eating Disorders Forum 2
D Diabeties and Eating Eating Disorders Forum 5
Prettyroses99 I stopped eating food yesterday Eating Disorders Forum 15
M So scared of eating today Eating Disorders Forum 12
A Binge eating struggles/ experience~ in need of support im tired of this Eating Disorders Forum 3
M CBT for eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 4
sakana A rant + have trouble eating after illness Eating Disorders Forum 2
E Overweight and hate myself (TW: Eating Disorder Specifics) Eating Disorders Forum 4
I my binge eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 5
D Bpd and compulsive eating *TW* Eating Disorders Forum 6
Lookyourbest Conquered my bad eating habits but another issue has me baffled Eating Disorders Forum 1
S Health concerns due to Eating Disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 1
dabearwiffdasammich Just broke my binge/emotional eating streak and I feel angry and sad with myself. Eating Disorders Forum 16
gay cotard My eating disorder is tied to my psychosis Eating Disorders Forum 3
L I need help for my girlfriend with an eating disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 3
T Does your eating disorder feel like an imaginary friend? Eating Disorders Forum 16
A Starting to suspect an eating disorder- advice needed Eating Disorders Forum 2
K Maybe dealing with an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 5
sweetnicotine I might have an eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 5
indigoroad Do i have an eating disorder or am i picky? Eating Disorders Forum 5
M Is this a an eating disorder?? Eating Disorders Forum 6
F Do i have an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 5
L Binge eating and bulimia help Eating Disorders Forum 7
C Mentally exhausted and feel like I’m drowning in my eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 12
Q Binge eating Eating Disorders Forum 1
M I don't know if I am actually suffering from an eating disorder. Eating Disorders Forum 6
L Friend has admitted to me that she purges after eating any food Eating Disorders Forum 5
S Binge Eating disorder and gastric band Eating Disorders Forum 11
izzybizzy struggling with a potential binge-eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 7
jajingna Is eating more than five times a day a disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 13
tonysawicki Binge eating triggered by sexual harassment Eating Disorders Forum 3
Y Eating disorder recovery Eating Disorders Forum 3
L Does this sound like an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 17
F Comfort Eating... Eating Disorders Forum 5
F Binge eating/emotional eating Eating Disorders Forum 27
A Do I have an eating disorder? Eating Disorders Forum 7
F Comfort/Binge eating... Eating Disorders Forum 2
T Selective eating Eating Disorders Forum 2
D Binge eating Eating Disorders Forum 7
I Unsure of eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 2
A Need help, can’t stop eating Eating Disorders Forum 9
K Binge eating some great help Eating Disorders Forum 1
K Binge eating no triggers ?? Therapy Eating Disorders Forum 6