• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Eating Disorders in Middle Age and the Elderley

S

*Sapphire*

BBC 1 aired a programme on 28th April which raised the topic of Eating Disorders among older women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cjs9w

Although I do have some issues with the way they broadcast the programme I think they are to be commended in challenging our views of the public conception that eating disorders are exclusive to teenagers and young persons, and that they are all about the pursuit of being thin/looking like models.

From personal experience I had an eating disorder as a teenager which I fully accepted, however after ten years of being fairly well with peaks and troughs I refused to acknowledge that it had come back some ten years later. In fact because I was so convinced that it could not happen to someone of my age I refused treatment for it. The other reason I refused treatment was because I thought I would only be amongst other patients that were teenagers or young adults, and was embarrassed by the prospect of being much older than them. It was not until I was forced to go into hospital that I was shocked to discover that many other patients were my age and much older! When i went to a day centre following, I was in fact at one point the youngest person there!

I wish I had seen this programme earlier as it may have prevented my fears of embarassment and my denial of my illness!

Following the programme I discovered some information which seems to indicate that eating disorders are also prevalent in the elderly. Perhaps the next step for the BBC is to shed some light on this little publicised subject.

*url removed*

The only failure in the BBC programme is that it did not highlight the issues of eating disorders in Middle Aged Men. However there seems to be little coverage of eating disorders in young men and male teenagers, which I can see is slowly changing, but not quick enough for my liking!

Last edited:
S

*Sapphire*

Aplogies, I don't seem to be able to edit the above thread, I just wanted to say that before you take a look at the first link, for some it may be a trigger for some persons as it does detail personal details of individuals eating disorders and behaviours.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O are some eating disorders in fact due to ocd? Eating Disorders Forum 2
M CBT for eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 4
I Unsure of eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 2
E Any one an athlete? sports and eating disorders. Eating Disorders Forum 1
ScaredCat Eating Disorders over Christmas Eating Disorders Forum 7
F Adults with eating disorders 'face appalling NHS failings Eating Disorders Forum 5
F ‘Anorexia coaches’ on Kik app prey on people with eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 0
F Treating men with eating disorders: do we need gender-specific care? Eating Disorders Forum 4
T Eating disorders asessment Eating Disorders Forum 2
Shadow-one Are Eating Disorders based on scales/weight or mental thoughts & actions Eating Disorders Forum 12
P Wife has left me after anorexia and binge eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 6
B Dentist visit- damage from eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 3
Niniane Eating Disorders messing up with my life Eating Disorders Forum 4
F 'I felt like an animal in a feeding zoo': how eating disorders are treated in England Eating Disorders Forum 3
F Are more men getting eating disorders? Eating Disorders Forum 22
amathus Eating Disorders and your teeth Eating Disorders Forum 1
G Atlanta Center for Eating Disorders - Reviews? Eating Disorders Forum 5
C Eating disorders in young men are being overlooked Eating Disorders Forum 5
D Eating Disorders Journalist Report Eating Disorders Forum 5
N Eating Disorders and the Media Eating Disorders Forum 1
F Public Lecture – Eating Disorders and Stigma: exploring the experience of families Eating Disorders Forum 2
F Training teachers to deliver body image lessons ‘could reduce risk of eating disorders Eating Disorders Forum 10
F Alcohol Abuse, Eating Disorders Share Genetic Link Eating Disorders Forum 2
A.m.b.e.r 1st Appointment with the Eating Disorders Service. Eating Disorders Forum 8
R Eating Disorders Awareness Walk - NYC Oct 6 Eating Disorders Forum 1
B I think that I've an Eating Disorders Eating Disorders Forum 9
F Pills for Bites: The Alarming Link between Drug Abuse and Eating Disorders Eating Disorders Forum 6
F Study: Pro-Ana Communities Good For Those With Eating Disorders Eating Disorders Forum 1
Angels Useful Information about Eating Disorders Eating Disorders Forum 15
sushiprom my story (and my current relapsing) TW: self-harm and eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 1
H Comfort eating when partner away Eating Disorders Forum 3
B Mother is making my Eating Disorder worse. Eating Disorders Forum 2
Katesqui333 My mum triggers my binge eating Eating Disorders Forum 3
M Eating a very restricted amount of calories a day Eating Disorders Forum 3
S I think I might be dealing with Night Eating Syndrome Eating Disorders Forum 2
I Not eating anf anxiety Eating Disorders Forum 4
I Emotional eating sucks Eating Disorders Forum 10
Door loosing weight after eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 1
Huckleberry Longest without eating Eating Disorders Forum 8
lilyrxse Hanging out and eating at a friend's house ? Eating Disorders Forum 2
jajingna My brother's eating habits bother me sometimes Eating Disorders Forum 1
P Eating issue Eating Disorders Forum 1
W Eating disorder flareup after a decade, now a parent? Eating Disorders Forum 5
L Binge eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 6
M Eating right before bed Eating Disorders Forum 1
D Not eating Eating Disorders Forum 11
E I don’t know if I have an eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 2
B Apps for Healthy Eating Eating Disorders Forum 5
B Fast food and eating disorder recovery Eating Disorders Forum 1
midnightphoenix Eating disorder Eating Disorders Forum 3