Eating disorders asessment

T

topsy

I have got an eating disorder assessment for binge eating soon.

Any idea what it's like? Xxxeating disorders asessment

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi ,y assessment was over 20 years ago
i can barely remember it

i hope yours goes really really well
please let us know how you get on
love Lu xx

R

Rufty

Hi topsy :)

If you have time before your appointment it might be useful, for a week, to keep a food diary. If you could document what, when, where you eat, how much you eat and how it made you feel that would give the assessor some good information with which to work to help you and give you the most appropriate diagnosis.

I imagine the first question they'll ask is "and what brings you here today?". Try to resist a response of "you want me to state the bleedin' obvious??!" :doh: and instead use it as an opportunity to produce your food diary "voila!". If they don't kick off with this question at least you know you've got a good starting point around which to start the conversation about how the binge eating is affecting your life.

Be prepared for them to weigh you and take your height. They may also wish to take bloods and do an ECG to gauge if/how your body is being affected by your eating problems.

They might/should ask if you use any compensatory behaviours after bingeing to try to negate the effects (purging of any kind including exercise) because obviously this might affect any diagnosis.

This is of course an opportunity for you to ask any questions that you might have, so perhaps have a think and if you do have questions you can jot them down to take with you - if you're anything like me I can think of a million questions beforehand but put me in a marginally stressful situation and my brain goes into shutdown and my memory's like: "sorry, we cannot process your request at this time"! :(

I guess the most important thing is to just be truthful and as open as possible about how your eating is affecting your life and the difficulties you're experiencing.

Most likely it will be a fairly informal chat, so please try not to worry (I'm aware this might be akin to asking the sun not to rise each morning!).

I hope it goes well for you, topsy and they can offer you the help you need. Do let us know :hug: