eating disorder friend need a help

D

dewdew

i got a friend with bipolar disorder type 2, and bulimia eating disorder.
i myself got anxiety and panic disorder.

she currently purging and cried everyday, i cant stand looking at her like that anymore.

She ask me to buy some food a pizza to be precise, because she was hungry, what should i say, what type of food good for her? should i state the reason why i bought this and that?

Last edited by a moderator:
daffy

daffy

Founding Member
As for food I can’t say I don’t know enough about bulimia. Is there a reason she can’t buy her own food. Have you thought about doing a food shop together

I would suggest she see her MH team if your worried about her

Daf:hug:

D

dewdew

sorry for the bad post above, i was shaking and did not think carefully.

I get from the start.
i met her, she currently struggling with Bipolar Disorder type 2, she on her medication. and stable, not much mood changes/swings
after a few months, she told me her history, she was once struggled with Bulimia eating disorder. binge eating and purging.

few months with her, she loves to eat, i treat her lot of food. sometimes i worried, but i didn't say anything, afraid it might upset her.
but i guess as long she happy it would be ok. since she all about Body Positivity.

but then she suddenly depressed, she said because of her weight, and her Bulimia relapsed. she purging every meal she had.

She wants to met me tomorrow, she said she want to eat pizza, should i get pizza for her? or should i opt more healthy food? and tell the reason?

our relationship kinda complicated, our parents never know about us. we always met in secret.

D

dewdew

As for food I can’t say I don’t know enough about bulimia. Is there a reason she can’t buy her own food. Have you thought about doing a food shop together

I would suggest she see her MH team if your worried about her

Daf:hug:
our relationship is a secret from both our parents, we met in secret
she not working and had no money,
she is 18 just finished high school, im 24

L

Lunar Lady

Dewdew, your friend is back into an unhealthy and destructive cycle.

If you are her true friend, you must be firm and not enable her to abuse herself.

If she is purging, her body is not receiving any vitamins or essential nutrients from food - she is going through the 'show' of eating whilst leaving her body malnourished.

It is serious and you need to be strong and encourage her to get help. :hug:

How to recognise symptoms

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Is there a reason that your relationship is secret. Is it that your families don’t approve.

Have you also though about doing exercise to help her if she is concerned about her weight. You don’t have to do anything dramatic maybe get an exercise dvd or you tube video. It would also benefit both your mental health.

Daf

D

dewdew

Dewdew, your friend is back into an unhealthy and destructive cycle.

If you are her true friend, you must be firm and not enable her to abuse herself.

If she is purging, her body is not receiving any vitamins or essential nutrients from food - she is going through the 'show' of eating whilst leaving her body malnourished.

It is serious and you need to be strong and encourage her to get help. :hug:

How to recognise symptoms
Is there a reason that your relationship is secret. Is it that your families don’t approve.

Have you also though about doing exercise to help her if she is concerned about her weight. You don’t have to do anything dramatic maybe get an exercise dvd or you tube video. It would also benefit both your mental health.

Daf
i know purging is bad, she need nutrients and everything,
she also knew that. i once talk to her that im afraid she might be sick because of lacks essential nutrients.
she screams at me "you think i dont know??, u think im an idiot? why dont u understand?"
then my panic attack hits in, i breathless, and cried, she apologize afterward, and i apologized too. then i never tried to "lecture" how this thing is bad how she needs nutrients and all sort.
heck, she even post on her twitter how bad is eating disorder while she actually doing it.
she said she just couldn't control herself., she cried every after meal, and purging calm her down.
i told her, try to something to occupy her mind, like exercise, or just helping your mom, she did that sometime, but still purging and keep ask me for laxative.

only for today she asked for pizza instead, im confused, i afraid she back to binge eating.
should i get her pizza?

the relationship is secret, because her parents is a pious Muslim, dating is taboo. she not religious. she dont care about religion, but her parents control her.

D

dewdew

about getting help, she frequently missed her appointment to see her psychiatrist for her Bipolar.

the thing is her parents always forgot or busy i dont know, i told her i can bring her go for the appointment, but she said her parents would not let her go.

anyway, finally her mom get new appointment for her after miss for 2 months. her new appointment is on 15th May.

i told her to tell her psychiatrist about her eating disorder, she agreed with that.

but that later, for now. the pizza. any thought?

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
I would buy the pizza, I don't see any benefit in buying anything else, maybe buy some salad to go with it or something. that is a normal meal you would have with a friend and I don't see an issue with it.

It is good she is being quite open about her eating issues, you don't want her to close up about it if at all possible.

D

dewdew

i just got a slice of pizza, bottled plain water, and something else, a non-food gift, a surprise just to make her happy.

she was ok when i met her, shes really happy with the gift, somewhat ecstatic about it, the pizza she said want to share it, she ate more than half, i only got few bites, of course, i don't mind, i thought she's good.

after that, when I'm going back, usually she texts or called me.
but this time she just went quiet no text or call. i texted her, no replied.
after about an hour, she replied, said she was sleepy and went to sleep again.
my heart broke because I got a strong feeling something happened.

i asked her to get help, this 15th May she got an appointment with her Bipolar Psychiatrist.
i suppose its ok to tell her Bipolar psychiatrist about her eating disorder too, maybe her psychiatrist can do both of it.
she said she will talk to her psychiatrist about her eating disorder this next session.