• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Eating disorder behaviour slowly out of control

L

lillian39530

Two months ago, my boyfriend dumped me, leaving me terribly, horribly and completely devastated. During the first weeks, I didn't eat much, and lost weight, which was weirdly a slight and only comfort in grieving. Being happy about it, when the healing process started and I got my appetite back, I didn't want to go back to my normal weight. I started doing this eating disorder behavior occasionally. And since then, I started doing it almost everyday. I made myself purged number of times since two months after coming back from the restaurant. For the rest, my eating habits are quite normal, aside for the fact that I always calculate portions and THINK about my weight everyday, all the time.

I've had some anxiety problems since my breakup. I don't know if any one has ever developed eating disorder after a breakup? (I'm still in grieving mode). And also I'm seeking general opinion about my condition, IS IT an eating disorder that I have? Does anyone have advice for me, as I really can't doing this behavior. Thanks in advance xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Moon_light

Hi,
Im sorry you are going through this, a break up can be such a massive emotionally draning experience. Just know that this horrible feeling you are going through will not last and that you WILL be back to normal.

I dont know much about eating disorders and there are others on here with far more knowledge but what I will say is: try and slowly go out of the house and do stuff. Go for walks, meet friends, go to the cafe and have a nice coffee. Watch the world go by, sit with your book (or Kindle etc) As you feel better then consider joining an exercise class. Anything that can give you a buzz. Maybe the gym or perhaps a zumba or aerobic class. These release brain chemicals that help with mood uplift and gradually you will find yourself wanting to do more and more. It will help lift you up.

I say all this because eating disorders seem to be a screen for something else occurring in our lives. I wish you well, stay strong.

L

LilyWhite

Sorry to step on your thread with personal stuff, but I had a similar situation too. It wasn't a breakup but I got really sick had NO appetite and lost 6 pounds. When I realized how good slimming down can feel I developed a bit of an eating disorder for the next year or so. But yeah I think any type of weight loss or noticeable weight loss can trigger it long-term, along with a breakup. It still constitutes as anorexia

Beergardenweather

Beergardenweather

Hopefully once you meet someone else and you heal abit it will go back to normal. I lost a stone, then met someone else and put 2 stone back on, now I can't shift the extra stone. I think it effected my metabolism unfortunately . 2 months isn't a very long time and I know how it feels to hurt so badly. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery. X