• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Eating Around Someone Elses House

M

MidnightMusician

Hi All!

Right, this is going to sound really strange now.

I have this strange disorder (if that's the right term) where I can't seem (well I can sometimes but I have to fake it or push through) eat a prepared meal around someone else's house. It's very odd. Never known anybody else have this or even anything similar. I can eat out at restaurants / fast food outlets and obviously in my own flat. I can also eat at my dads house and neither of those places bother me in the slightest.

It seems like a kind of OCD to me. If I am invited around someone else's place for dinner, I always make an excuse not to go, or invite them to mine. It's like I think they've not prepared it hygienically enough. If I do go though, and try to just push through it, when I get the plate of food or whatever it might be, it tastes slightly odd, and I struggle to eat it. It's like every mouthful and chew seems like an eternity. Even had a cup of tea round a mates about 3 months ago and that tasted strange to me.

Anybody else get this or anything similar?

Thanks!

In the Clouds

In the Clouds

I am exactly like this!
I get so paranoid and scared I won't be able to eat it and then shake while I'm eating it. I couldn't understand why, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I don't always feel like it's not been prepared hygienically enough but even then I'm still the same. And yes weirdly at restaurants I'm completely fine. I try and avoid eating at someone else's house or invite them to mine too.

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

Find it difficult to eat anywhere else other than my own home. I am improving and can now enjoy meals with family and meals out at restaurants. Pretty sure my panic about eating is due to anxiety about hygiene. I am very very very fussy but my mother had no idea about basic cleanliness. Think it might have stemmed from that. Very strange though.

S

Sam-91

That's not strange at all. I have the same issue, it really bugs me when I eat in a new place. Well as you mentioned you can easily avoid it by inviting them to your place instead, or just going out to a restaurant.

Just wondering, how often do you get in such situation? To be invited to eat in someone else's place.

L

lovemylife

Hi All!

I have this strange disorder (if that's the right term) where I can't seem (well I can sometimes but I have to fake it or push through) eat a prepared meal around someone else's house. It's very odd. Never known anybody else have this or even anything similar. I can eat out at restaurants / fast food outlets and obviously in my own flat. I can also eat at my dads house and neither of those places bother me in the slightest.

It seems like a kind of OCD to me. If I am invited around someone else's place for dinner, I always make an excuse not to go, or invite them to mine. It's like I think they've not prepared it hygienically enough. If I do go though, and try to just push through it, when I get the plate of food or whatever it might be, it tastes slightly odd, and I struggle to eat it. It's like every mouthful and chew seems like an eternity. Even had a cup of tea round a mates about 3 months ago and that tasted strange to me.

Thanks!
Hi All!

Thanks!
i have this exact problem does anyone know what it’s called cause when i tell people they say it’s cause i’m fussy but i want a name just to tell them so they won’t ask ?

M

MidnightMusician

Found a thread on it at healthunlocked.com and no-one had any idea what it was apart from one person saying they thought it was an anxiety thing.

I think for me it all comes down to knowing how the food has been handled. In a restaurant you expect or are pretty confident the food has been prepared to food hygiene standards and at home you know exactly how it's been prepared cause you were there or cooked it but around someone else's you have no idea if they used clean chopping boards, utensils or how the food has been stored or handled.

I also hate my food being touched and cannot eat food say if someone had a sandwich in their lunchbox they didn't want and offered it to me I'd politely decline even if it was a sandwich with a filling I'd really enjoy and was hungry.

I have no idea why though or what causes it or where it stems from. It's just bizarre really. Anxiety or ocd (cleanliness type thing) are the only 2 things that come to mind.

D

Dal

I actually understand, I think. And this thing that you experience only happens at points "A" and "B", but not point "C". I have trouble with sitting on other's beds (like if you go to a family member's house and chill playing video games in their room or something). If I know a visitor came by my house, I can't sit on the couch after they have, (can't use the toilet either), or I have to ignore that weird feeling I get to try to get pass it.

Here's the thing I am noticing (I was diagnosed with OCD near the end of Sept) about OCD tendencies. Things tend to have a certain fair and reasonable aspect. It is true that some people may not cook their food in a clean environment, so it is reasonable that one should be careful. It is true that germs do exist on surfaces, so it is reasonable to wash your hands. I guess I'm learning that it is about moderation?

Faith198

Faith198

Yes! Occasionally my mom will bring my sibling and I a dessert someone made at her work and I don’t want to eat it because it’s not her cooking. I worry about germs being in it