• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

E petition re Incapacity Benefit

D

Dollit

FROM TELEMETRY

Dollit and I have created an online petition at a Government website in order to voice concerns over proposed changes to Incapacity Benefit and how they may effect many of us living with mental illness.

If you can find the time to read the brief details of the concerns and if you agree in principle; then it would be great if you could sign. Even better if you can forward the link to anyone else you may think would care enough to support this small gesture of protest.

Htto://petitions.pm.gov.uk/MHealth/

Thank you for your consideration and support.

T

telemetry9

If anyone is uncertain regarding the truth and untruths that surround Incapacity Benefit. Then you might find it helpful to visit this website from a reputable disablity group that outlines some of the facts. Very different from the media prejudice and stigma towards people on Incapacity Benefit.

http://www.radar.org.uk/radarwebsite/tabid/54/default.aspx

I hope this fills in some missing pieces.
Robert.

T

telemetry9

I'm going to have a wee break as I'm tired today. Still getting used to my new medication but hopefully we have got the ball rolling - if it's meant to be.

robert.

D

Dollit

Another forum member is looking at another aspect of this for us. So we could actually make a difference. Have a nice rest Robert and we'll be here when you get back. Good work today. :hug:

D

Dollit

I have just bumped into my local Labour councillor and we are quite good mates. He has asked to have the petition url and he happens to work for a cabinet minister. I'll tell you what feedback I get when I see him on Tuesday for our regular committee meeting. :)

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I have just bumped into my local Labour councillor and we are quite good mates. He has asked to have the petition url and he happens to work for a cabinet minister. I'll tell you what feedback I get when I see him on Tuesday for our regular committee meeting. :)
It would be a good idea for all of us to try and get our concerns voiced to our local mp's and councillors.
I think the last round of votes concerning benefit reform met with a certain level of revolt from within the governments own back benches so it's important to get our points across this time.

(y)

D

Dollit

Anyone want to come up with a standard letter we could bombard the MP's with?

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
I'd like to know why,when reading through employers responsibilities with regards to mental health,that the term mental health seems to be always referred to as 'depression' and nothing else.
I find it derogatory as the subject is much wider than that !

D

Dollit

What is worse is when you identify yourself as bipolar and then have to say manic depression and then people assume that that means you just get extra depressed. People are scared of understanding in case they have to face a truth about themselves that they don't want to.

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
What is worse is when you identify yourself as bipolar and then have to say manic depression and then people assume that that means you just get extra depressed. People are scared of understanding in case they have to face a truth about themselves that they don't want to.
Exactly sweetie,this is where the 'stigma' comes into the argument.
Not only are the employers ignorant of mental health issues,the government itself is plainly ignorant of the facts.

T

telemetry9

That is very good news regarding your local councillor, Dollit. The more people we let know about this rather sneaky proposal the better.

D

Dollit

He works for the Minister for Public Health who is also my MP so he's quite handy to have around which is why I vote for him. He's also a nice person and we see a lot of each other as we live near to one another. I'll also ask our other councillor who is Green Party but he might sign and I've brought it to the attention of Ben who runs the Shift Speakers Bureau.

T

telemetry9

Have you thought more about the letter to MP's? We should think about timing etc...?

robert.

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Robert and Dollit, both done a good job:clap:

I already signed a petition for the same via another forum - unsure if I am able to vote again? Am happy to. www.yourable.com.
Petition started 2/11/07 to date =1,827:)