• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

E.C.T for schizophrenia ?

fazza

fazza

Does anyone know if e.c.t is suitable for schizophrenia. I am at my wits end, I am on 300mg of haldol ber month (depot) and although it seems to be working well it has given me terrible akithisia. I was hoping to start clozapine but my white cell count is too low again. I am hoping that they will let me have a couple of sessions of e.c.t to help break the cycle of voices and ruminating thoughts. I feel like i am running out of options as I have been on most drugs and they only seem to get half the job done.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi fazza, sorry you are having such a difficult time.

I have not had ECT. It was originally used for schizophrenia, but these days it is mostly used for depression or sometimes mania. It is still used for schizophrenia in some countries but not often here. It can be used for catatonia, and I read that it can occasionally be used for treatment resistant schizophrenia, so it is worth asking about it.