• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dysthymia

singingdollydaydream

singingdollydaydream

Founding Member
:clap:Hello.
I see someone once a month at my mental health place, usually a gp in training working under my psychiatrist ( who I never see!). After the session they write a summary of what we discuss and send a copy to me and one to my gp. I am on my third one, they`ve all been women and all helpful in different ways. I`m waffling, get to the point!
So, I was reading this summary and it said I was dysthymic. Never heard that word before so I googled it. There in black and white were all the symptoms I have suffered from all these years. It was such a relief I burst into tears. Also felt angry that this diagnosis? had not been mentioned before. I really am ill not just useless, lazy, weak etc.
So, was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

D

Dollit

Dysthymia is one of the depressive disorders and it has been known for a long time. The problem with mental health is that it can take a long time to get a diagnosis because you have to be able to see the pattern in someone. To be diagnosed as dysthmic you have to have been showing the symptoms for two years - often people with dysthymia don't recount symptoms correctly because it's the way they've felt for a long time and don't realise that they are symptoms. If you go to the Royal College of Psychiatrists web site (sorry useless at storing urls) then they may have a fact sheet on it. :hug:

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
docs - yeh - don't ask me about them cos I aint gonna be pleasant not when one got sacked for abuse to patients and I was one of them

No follow up on how it affected me - I wanted to see a trial but the NHS choose to let them leave by the back door root, I guess it saved on their compensation claims