• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dysthymia

singingdollydaydream

singingdollydaydream

Founding Member
:clap:Hello.
I see someone once a month at my mental health place, usually a gp in training working under my psychiatrist ( who I never see!). After the session they write a summary of what we discuss and send a copy to me and one to my gp. I am on my third one, they`ve all been women and all helpful in different ways. I`m waffling, get to the point!
So, I was reading this summary and it said I was dysthymic. Never heard that word before so I googled it. There in black and white were all the symptoms I have suffered from all these years. It was such a relief I burst into tears. Also felt angry that this diagnosis? had not been mentioned before. I really am ill not just useless, lazy, weak etc.
So, was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

D

Dollit

Dysthymia is one of the depressive disorders and it has been known for a long time. The problem with mental health is that it can take a long time to get a diagnosis because you have to be able to see the pattern in someone. To be diagnosed as dysthmic you have to have been showing the symptoms for two years - often people with dysthymia don't recount symptoms correctly because it's the way they've felt for a long time and don't realise that they are symptoms. If you go to the Royal College of Psychiatrists web site (sorry useless at storing urls) then they may have a fact sheet on it. :hug:

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
docs - yeh - don't ask me about them cos I aint gonna be pleasant not when one got sacked for abuse to patients and I was one of them

No follow up on how it affected me - I wanted to see a trial but the NHS choose to let them leave by the back door root, I guess it saved on their compensation claims