• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DWP Gets Tough On Sickness Benefit Claimants

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Good grief! All I feel like doing now is banging my head against a brick wall!

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
F***k's sake. Sickening.

T

Topcat

Astonishing. Now, is this right....
So you claim ESA, but following assessment your claim goes to appeal, during this time you can claim JSA, but of course if you sign up to JSA you are essentially saying you're fit to work, even though you are appealing to be on ESA because you're not fit to work.
WTF
"For the first time claimants’ obligations are recorded in one place, clarifying both what they are expected to do in return for benefits and support, and exactly what happens if they fail to comply."
What is that exactly? Death by firing squad?
I might start building a labor camp in preparation for detaining those who fail to comply and need to be put to use somewhere.
Off to look for a government grant......

T

TheRedStar

You've got to love DWP doublespeak... "measures to improve further the support we offer...". Measures to increase further the harassment we inflict, more like!

As to looking for work being a 'full-time' activity... honestly, how many times can a person re-apply for the same zero-hour contract positions at their local branches of Sports Direct?! I know people who've found it difficult enough to fulfill their 3-4 (depending on their local Jobcentre) job applications per week requirement once they'd filtered out all of the positions they weren't qualified for, and I don't think dedicating 40hrs per week to the task will suddenly conjure up relevant qualifications for the inaccessible work.

Oh, but I forgot... this government believes that 'trying harder' causes magic job trees to grow, doesn't it?

Astonishing. Now, is this right....
So you claim ESA, but following assessment your claim goes to appeal, during this time you can claim JSA, but of course if you sign up to JSA you are essentially saying you're fit to work, even though you are appealing to be on ESA because you're not fit to work.
WTF
Yep... to my understanding this is correct, and so claimants in this situation end up in a double-bind; if they don't claim JSA then they've got to somehow conjure money out of their asses for the duration of the appeal process, but if they do claim JSA then having effectively declared themselves 'fit for work' can be used against them at the appeal.

This is utterly despicable, but because it doesn't affect 'hardworkingtaxpayers' nobody gives a toss.

"For the first time claimants’ obligations are recorded in one place, clarifying both what they are expected to do in return for benefits and support, and exactly what happens if they fail to comply."
What is that exactly? Death by firing squad?
I strongly suspect that 'sanctions' will be the main form of punishment. Oh sorry, it's not 'punishment', is it - it's assistance! Because, you know, not being able to eat really helps a person get back to work, doesn't it...?

It's amazing... even the worst murderers, rapists, and paedophiles aren't allowed to be starved in prison, but apparently it's absolutely fine to deny unemployed people the means to purchase food.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Oh that's good!
There's plenty of research to show that nothing cures a chronic illness like a bunch of stress and immense pressure. (y)