• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dvla.....any information will help please

~minnie~

~minnie~

I went to see the psychiatrist yesterday and she reviewed my meds and asked about my driving.

She asked me to inform DVLA about my diagnosis and that I am on two anti-psychotics. I rang DVLA this morning and they are sending a medical form in the post to me.

My question is has anybody else here had to inform DVLA and what happened to you with the form and the outcome, I am so scared because my car is my life and I need it to get around because I cant use public transport for the fear of people

Can anybody help please?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You wont necessarily lose your license.I lost mine because I told my consultant that I smoked cannabis.
I'm on 15mg olanzapine.They didn't revoke my license because of the medication.
You're supposed to inform the DVLA about your medical condition,and tell your insurance company aswell.
If your psychiatrist thinks you are ok to drive,then you should be ok.You have to be 'stable' for at least 3 months since your last episode.If your medication makes you drowsy,and you tell your psychiatrist then this could be enough for them to revoke your license,so be careful,and dont drive if you are drowsy.
Strictly speaking you are not insured if you dont inform your insurance company of your condition.
After you fill in the form DVLA will send,your psychiatrist will get one to fill in.It really depends on what she says as to what will happen to your license.

Last edited:
Q

quality factor

Hi just wondered if DVLA are having a clampdown on Psychiatrists' position on their clients' driving ? This question has cropped up quite a bit over last few months.
As Olanza says the Pychiatrists discretion is taken into consideration by DVLA.
I just started driving again after my license was revoked 14 months ago for epilepsy...scarey man...put my window wipers on to turn left!!!
Take care.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Has your psychiatrist said if you should drive or not? sometimes they do. If they are non commital then you may have to wait until Dvla send you a form and then the psychiaitrist. Im going through this process and its taking months. My psychiatrist called me in to fill out the form and fortunately it was favourable but I still haven't heard from DVLA yet. If you know yourself that you are not up to driving then it also is your responsibility not to drive in the law. Its a very tricky area.

I

IDream

I wish you had asked before you phoned the DVLA - I would have said don't
bother.
Ive been "screened" for a few years now because Im on an anti psychotic.

Just make out everything's fine and you should be OK - BUT, what they did
with me was only give it for 12 months - then you have to go through all the
rigmarole again.
I sent them an assertive letter with my last application stating that I thought
I was being unfairly treated/scrutinised because of my candour.
Hey presto - they gave me one for 3 years.

It's just beaurocracy, and it's a pain - but unfortunatley the dye is cast here.

Another "viewpoint" is that this is exactly what you must do as it can affect
your insurance claims if you have any in the future.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
In hindsight I wish I hadn't informed DVLA.My psychiatrist wouldn't have done anything as he thinks I'm ok to drive.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi just wondered if DVLA are having a clampdown on Psychiatrists' position on their clients' driving ? This question has cropped up quite a bit over last few months.
As Olanza says the Pychiatrists discretion is taken into consideration by DVLA.
I just started driving again after my license was revoked 14 months ago for epilepsy...scarey man...put my window wipers on to turn left!!!
Take care.
Hi QF.I'm just wondering what was involved to get your license back.Did they send you your old license back,or did you have to apply for a new one and get it signed by a proffesional etc?

~minnie~

~minnie~

My psych said that she wasnt happy with mje driving but I assured her that I am safe to drive and she said as long as the medication isnt making me drowsy I can continue to drive...but I am scared that she will change her mind when she gets the form from DVLA.

I will just have to wait and see.

Thanks for your replies, it has eased my mind a little.

Q

quality factor

Hi QF.I'm just wondering what was involved to get your license back.Did they send you your old license back,or did you have to apply for a new one and get it signed by a proffesional etc?
Hi Olanza,
My Consultant told me I was it to drive agin and suggested I re-applied to get my license back. I had to apply for a license again (form from PO), it cost me £50 and I had to send my birth certificate etc. That was in Oct 2008. I received a covering letter last week, but I rang DVLA for clarification, she said I had to have that letter with me every time I drove and wait to hear final advise from the DVLA's medical advisor on what kind of license they were going to issue...1yr, 3 yr or full. I am still waiting. I know that my consultant sent a letter to them end of November. So it seems that it takes a while fot the med,ad. to reach a final decision. I kept ringing DVLA every week to find out progress. I had to have a new card license cos the original was paper, so that may make difference to waiting time. If you have to stop driving you can either continue to tax it or let tax run out, or, you have to declare SORN, again form from PO.

Hope all this makes sense!!!!

Oh yes had to get a professional to sgn app.n - asked the bank clerk who knew me, she had to fill in a bit of paperwork.

Last edited:
S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for explaining.

D

Danage

I've been having driving lessons since March last year, and I've had two psychotic episodes since then, and I was considered able to drive despite the anti-psychotics I was on, and am on, so it may just be luck.

Q

quality factor

Hi Everybody,
I have just received an official bill from DVLA for £80 plus £20 arrears because I did not continue with SORN after twelve months off the road. It seems you have to either:
1. Declare SORN again if off the road for more than twelve months ...or
2. Tax your car if allowed to drive...or
3. Notify DVLA if you get rid of your vehicle.

It seems I should be a mind reader..I honestly did not know about that, and anyway I've changed my address and didn't receive a reminder until I got this nasty letter forwarded to me by the estate agent today.

BE WARNED!:mad:

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I phoned my insurance to cancel the policy.They reckon there is a new law which states you must have your vehicle insured,even if it is off the road.
One thing I wont miss is all the red tape and money involved with running a car.

Q

quality factor

Yes I had to insure mine whist I was off the road, but I didn't know you had to. I insured mine so that the transport lorry could transfer it to my new address. Right bl...y performance!!
What is right about taxing a car which stays on the drive, it doesn't make sense to me, especially if you haven't got a license to drive it.
Who dreams up these rules I ask myself. :mad: