• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

DVLA - 1 year provisional

U

user2648

I applied for a provisional after illness. I have a diagnosis of BPD. Have been “stable” and off medication for nearly a year.

I’ve been given a 1 year licence so by the time I pass it will need to be reviewed again. There’s no indication that I am a risk. It feels very discriminatory.

I’m also in the process of getting therapy as a precaution but wonder if this will go against me when I renew. Just want to move on with my life.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It’s quite normal after a serious illness to be issued a 1year licence. Providing you are stable with no changes you most probably would be issued a 3 year license .
I had my licence changed after illness to 1 year then when it came to renew got a 3 year licence and it been like that for the las 15 years reviewed every 3 years

B

Bettyriver

Ure sick now with bpd, they wudnt of gave u a lisence for a year hun if it was gna be taken away from u, u been honest with them, that's all u can do and they still gave u a provisional lisence, don't worry hun

U

user2648

Thank your for your replies. Will therapy go against me? I have been denying/dealing with my BPD alone recently because I don’t won’t to be seen as unwell and have it affect my job/driving

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m schizoaffective and have a 3 year licence as long as nothing changes you should get it renewed. You may have to have a medical which is literally just your doctor asking you questions and ticking boxes

B

Bettyriver

Be honest, mental health is big thing these days and no one can discriminate u for it, it's time to be truthfull which u r and have been, u will get where u wanna be in life, don't feel scared for being different, if anything u will have to pay abit more car insurance then other pple but money is f.. K all as long as u get to where u wanna be

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on a three year licence after having psychosis back in 2016 and I'm on anti-psychotics for life now. My insurance hasn't gone up a penny after informing my insurance company.

W

Worriedyin

I applied for a provisional after illness. I have a diagnosis of BPD. Have been “stable” and off medication for nearly a year.

I’ve been given a 1 year licence so by the time I pass it will need to be reviewed again. There’s no indication that I am a risk. It feels very discriminatory.

I’m also in the process of getting therapy as a precaution but wonder if this will go against me when I renew. Just want to move on with my life.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Hi, Daffy and NWiddi have already said it better than I could.

I got a one year license after psychosis, just been renewed to a three year at first renewal. I'm being looked after by CMHT and generally have weekly appointments (min) so getting treated doesn't seem to affect it.

As with NWiddi, premium hasn't been affected.