• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

During a depression cycle does anyone hate or get disgusted by their significant other?

P

Pclovesme

Wondering how you guys navigate this?
I’m on lithium and lamictal.

P

Pclovesme

I “think” this happens to me and I do back to bring fine later. Just not sure so hard to tell.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I don’t have a significant other but during very down phases I feel that way towards my pets and can neglect them or think seriously about giving them away. Once I’m out of the depressed phas I’m back to a normal, loving owner. Fortunately I live with my parents who help out when I’m low. xo, j

S

StillDepressed

I have been through 'hate' phases with my partner, but they are rare. When my depression takes real hold I lack feeling I don't hate, but also I don't love - I just exist. People close to you find it hard to hear that you don't love them even though you know you should.

D

Daringdan

I'm shocked at the mean thoughts I can have about family when my nerves are racked. I think "that's not me."

P

Pclovesme

Yes very hard for me.
Feels like one week I’m head over heels for her, then after a random period of time, I despise her and want to be single.

C

Constantine

I’ve never found a good way to avoid it. It just happens. It’s like a phase or something. The best I can do is not express how I feel aloud except to my therapist. No need to hurt her feelings if I don’t have to. Although I’m sure she feels it more than she lets on. Trust me, we’ve had our spats about why I’m being so distant not touching her or saying nice things or using a nice tone. I just tend to minimize as much as I can to get me through. Not sure how much that helps but it’s my roadmap through the distance.

P

Pclovesme

I’ve never found a good way to avoid it. It just happens. It’s like a phase or something. The best I can do is not express how I feel aloud except to my therapist. No need to hurt her feelings if I don’t have to. Although I’m sure she feels it more than she lets on. Trust me, we’ve had our spats about why I’m being so distant not touching her or saying nice things or using a nice tone. I just tend to minimize as much as I can to get me through. Not sure how much that helps but it’s my roadmap through the distance.
I feel ya. How long does your depressive cycle last for you?

S

SFGuy

I don’t hate my husband, but when I am badly stressed, having a mixed episode, or hypomanic, I can have explosive attacks of rage that scare him and me. I often can’t remember what I said during these explosions. I’m never violent, but always sorry and embarrassed. I’ve learned to feel when they’re coming on and try to go somewhere where I can be alone, but I blow up every year or 2 anyway. It’s awful.

reservoirwolf

reservoirwolf

I've been dealing with this lately. I wouldn't say I hate my partner, but I definitely get in a place mentally, where I don't want to be around anyone. In depression, I just really want to be left alone.

C

CabbageMama

I am alone, really wish I had someone to share all this with.

D

Doopadoop

@CabbageMama I've been looking for more people to connect somewhat more personally with. I'd love to listen to what you have to say whenever.

In response to the original question I'd say if more behaviors exhibited by them. Chewing is a bad one for me. I hate my own chewing and I probably have my most aggressive thoughts ever while hearing it from others. Transgressions come up but I try to write down how much they're currently actually affecting me and if I can or should talk about them. Thoughts are hard.

C

Constantine

Pclovesme wrote: I feel ya. How long does your depressive cycle last for you?

It just depends. It can be a night to weeks. I have no idea what it depends on. How about you?