• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Duration of Mania

JessisMe

JessisMe

What is the average length of your manic episode? Mine is usually four months to a year.

HLon99

HLon99

I'm a rapid cycler, probable Bipolar II, so my (hypo)Manic episodes are a lot shorter 3-5 weeks. Since being on meds, it hasn't really been a problem. However, my depressive episodes are hell and can go on for months. I get very stubborn depressive episodes, even on medication, I still experience days when I'm depressed.

I can't imagine what its like having a Manic episode that long, must wreak havoc in you life.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I'm a rapid cycler, probable Bipolar II, so my (hypo)Manic episodes are a lot shorter 3-5 weeks. Since being on meds, it hasn't really been a problem. However, my depressive episodes are hell and can go on for months. I get very stubborn depressive episodes, even on medication, I still experience days when I'm depressed.

I can't imagine what its like having a Manic episode that long, must wreak havoc in you life.
Yes it absolutely does wreak havoc. It’s scary too.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Well I have lacked insight up until recently so usually I just carry on with the mania driving me, my choices and my behavior until I end up in the hospital. This time I went voluntarily. Other times I have not.

HLon99

HLon99

Well I have lacked insight up until recently so usually I just carry on with the mania driving me, my choices and my behavior until I end up in the hospital. This time I went voluntarily. Other times I have not.
Yeah I hear that, mania is a rollercoaster, seems fun at the start then you start snapping at people and making terrible choices. Best thing is to admit to ourselves that we have a problem, so that we can catch it early when it happens and get the help we need. Is your medication helping you?

JessisMe

JessisMe

Yeah I hear that, mania is a rollercoaster, seems fun at the start then you start snapping at people and making terrible choices. Best thing is to admit to ourselves that we have a problem, so that we can catch it early when it happens and get the help we need. Is your medication helping you?
I’m not manic at the moment but I don’t know if it’s because of the medication or because I am severely depressed.

HLon99

HLon99

I’m not manic at the moment but I don’t know if it’s because of the medication or because I am severely depressed.
Oh right, I see. Its hard to tell whats what with Bipolar. Sorry to hear that your going through that, depression really sucks. Sometimes, I find it helpful to keep a mood tracking diary, helps me to predict when I'm falling into an episode so I can deal with it before it get serious. Theres this great app called e-moods for iPhone, its tracks mood, sleep, anxiety, meds etc, puts it all into charts and all. Its really been a lifesaver for me.

Hope you feel better soon.

-H

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Bipolar Forum 5
D Bipolar Forum 6
W Bipolar Forum 2
rainbowsocks Bipolar Forum 9
T Bipolar Forum 1