• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dumber Because Of Meds?

M

Mav2126

Does anyone think that their cognitive abilities have been negatively impacted from taking all these medications? I don't think I am as smart as I used to be while taking antidepressants, antipsychotics, and antianxiety medications. The whole point of these meds are to slow down processes in your brain so it must have an impact on your ability to think, right?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Unless I was severely underachieving before I started taking meds my cognitive abilities appear unchanged. I'm on Sertraline, Aripiprazole and Risperidone and feel fine, tired but mentally fine.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I think I’m getting dumber as I get older. I think the meds and poor mental health are partly responsible. For me depression blocks my mind. I completely shut down and can’t think. If you stop thinking long enough….

K

keith74

The meds that have a strong sedative effect (quetiapine, olanzapine, lorezapam, etc) would likely have some impact since it makes your feel drowsy in general. It is not necessarily "dumber" but just less alert and slower to react while the sedative properties are in effect

Wishbone

Wishbone

There's no knowing for sure if it's meds or the long-term effects of the illness itself without doing substantial long-term studies in an attempt to separate these things, but the available research at the moment indicates it could be both that are playing a part. Cognitive deficits are acknowledged with things like a reduced ability to recall information, use of language etc.

M

Mav2126

There's no knowing for sure if it's meds or the long-term effects of the illness itself without doing substantial long-term studies in an attempt to separate these things, but the available research at the moment indicates it could be both that are playing a part. Cognitive deficits are acknowledged with things like a reduced ability to recall information, use of language etc.
Interesting. My issues have been short term memory and analytical ability.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Yeah short-term memory is a really noticeable and common one. I've spoken of it on here before but I was once on medications that made my short-term memory so bad I couldn't recall any passwords or PIN numbers and even forgot the name of the street I lived on once.

S

SFGuy

The whole point of these meds are to slow down processes in your brain so it must have an impact on your ability to think, right?
They affect my short term memory. I have a terrible time remembering people's names unless I've known them forever. My long term memory seems OK unless I'm tired. Analytical skills OK, I think. Learning new things in seminars or classes is hard now. That used to be easy.

I think the worst offenders I take are Depakote and Xanax (not sure about Lyrica), but they're lifesavers. I've come to accept the tradeoff, but I miss being smart.

Amazingly

Amazingly

Yes I took a cognitive hit with these meds but my cognition is at its worse when I become depressed or psychotic.
So it’s all relative.

K

keith74

They affect my short term memory. I have a terrible time remembering people's names unless I've known them forever. My long term memory seems OK unless I'm tired. Analytical skills OK, I think. Learning new things in seminars or classes is hard now. That used to be easy.

I think the worst offenders I take are Depakote and Xanax (not sure about Lyrica), but they're lifesavers. I've come to accept the tradeoff, but I miss being smart.
My wife has been on Depakote for over 2 decades and fortunately has not experienced much side effects other than making her hair wavy and a bit brittle. But she definitely can feel "slowed down" by quetiapine.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Does anyone think that their cognitive abilities have been negatively impacted from taking all these medications? I don't think I am as smart as I used to be while taking antidepressants, antipsychotics, and antianxiety medications. The whole point of these meds are to slow down processes in your brain so it must have an impact on your ability to think, right?
Either one of the medication or both of the medication has contributed to my decline in cognitive abilities. I don't think i'm getting worse but i am not in a good place in terms of cognition but also in terms of emotions?