• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Drugs don't cure mental disorders

K

Karalin99

I'd like to start a thread talking about how to actually cure a mental disorder, instead of just suppressing the symptoms with synthetic drugs.
My daughter became seriously depressed and suicidal, then psychotic. But she didn't recover until she was treated with real medical care. All the antipsychotic drugs did was turn her into a zombie and harm her liver. A lab test showed that her histamines were way too high (which I learned about from a book by Linda Van Zandt, The Secrets to Real Mental Health).
If you Google "Histadelia" you'll see that this is a fairly common cause of depression, anorexia, and psychosis. It just means that your natural level of histamines is too high. When you lower the histamines, so they're back in the normal range, the depression goes away. It doesn't work for everyone who is depressed, anorexic or psychotic though because not everyone has histamines that are too high. My daughter sure did. She has been well (I mean free of psychiatrists and their drugs) for many years now. I think real healing from psychiatric disorders would be a good topic for this forum.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Drugs don't cure mental disorders - But the Emperor is wearing some lovely clothes.

i've tried to get discussion going on a whole range of alternatives to drugs - sadly i think you'll find a lot of people aren't that interested.

D

Deliah

That's really wonderful news for your daughter. Thank you ever so much for posting. D xx

K

Karalin99

Joseph Campbell is one of my favorite authors.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I do think that a lot of psychiatric drugs are too easily prescribed and that in my own experience, they've been a sticking plaster that temporarily holds things in.
Any real healing involves exposing your wound and really working on it - not hiding it and pretending it's not there with medication that makes you feel terrible.

I don't claim to be anti-drugs... I'm more of the opinion that different things are suited to different people - but that I do wish alternative approaches were considered more often and alternative healing more available.

And so I hope I don't sound like a hypocrite by saying this, but i've noticed a bigger improvement in my mental health since taking the pill that I have with any anti-psychotic/mood-stabiliser i've ever taken.

Sometimes the overall health needs to be addressed.
For me i've obviously had some hormonal issues going on that have affected my mood. So it doesn't surprise me at all to hear that in your daughter's case, something like 'histadelia' has been a huge culprit in her issues.

M

Madisonrose

Hi I'm madi and I'm in my teens. I'm currently taking a high dose of Quetiapine and a small dose of Aripiprazole, as well as Fluoxetine. I understand how you feel as my meds haven't been able to help my delusions at all, just make me really restless.