• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Drugs don't cure mental disorders

K

Karalin99

I'd like to start a thread talking about how to actually cure a mental disorder, instead of just suppressing the symptoms with synthetic drugs.
My daughter became seriously depressed and suicidal, then psychotic. But she didn't recover until she was treated with real medical care. All the antipsychotic drugs did was turn her into a zombie and harm her liver. A lab test showed that her histamines were way too high (which I learned about from a book by Linda Van Zandt, The Secrets to Real Mental Health).
If you Google "Histadelia" you'll see that this is a fairly common cause of depression, anorexia, and psychosis. It just means that your natural level of histamines is too high. When you lower the histamines, so they're back in the normal range, the depression goes away. It doesn't work for everyone who is depressed, anorexic or psychotic though because not everyone has histamines that are too high. My daughter sure did. She has been well (I mean free of psychiatrists and their drugs) for many years now. I think real healing from psychiatric disorders would be a good topic for this forum.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Drugs don't cure mental disorders - But the Emperor is wearing some lovely clothes.

i've tried to get discussion going on a whole range of alternatives to drugs - sadly i think you'll find a lot of people aren't that interested.

D

Deliah

That's really wonderful news for your daughter. Thank you ever so much for posting. D xx

K

Karalin99

Joseph Campbell is one of my favorite authors.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I do think that a lot of psychiatric drugs are too easily prescribed and that in my own experience, they've been a sticking plaster that temporarily holds things in.
Any real healing involves exposing your wound and really working on it - not hiding it and pretending it's not there with medication that makes you feel terrible.

I don't claim to be anti-drugs... I'm more of the opinion that different things are suited to different people - but that I do wish alternative approaches were considered more often and alternative healing more available.

And so I hope I don't sound like a hypocrite by saying this, but i've noticed a bigger improvement in my mental health since taking the pill that I have with any anti-psychotic/mood-stabiliser i've ever taken.

Sometimes the overall health needs to be addressed.
For me i've obviously had some hormonal issues going on that have affected my mood. So it doesn't surprise me at all to hear that in your daughter's case, something like 'histadelia' has been a huge culprit in her issues.

M

Madisonrose

Hi I'm madi and I'm in my teens. I'm currently taking a high dose of Quetiapine and a small dose of Aripiprazole, as well as Fluoxetine. I understand how you feel as my meds haven't been able to help my delusions at all, just make me really restless.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Drugs and Depression Depression Forum 2
N Crisis tw: suicide, drugs Depression Forum 3
G 4 years of misery thinking about drugs... Depression Forum 1
J Quit drinking and drugs.. Depression Forum 2
wollie When to stop taking drugs Depression Forum 3
wolram They started me on drugs Depression Forum 7
cpuusage Drugs alone won't cure the epidemic of depression. We need strategy Depression Forum 1
L Drink, drugs, depression and despair Depression Forum 5
R Depression and anti inflammatory drugs Depression Forum 4
A Would you ever consider hallucinogenic drugs such as ayahuasca as a possible treatment method? Depression Forum 8
E BPD, co-morbid depression, meds, drugs, etc. Depression Forum 3
B Drugs are self-defeating? Depression Forum 50
LORD BURT Psychedelic drugs like LSD could be used to treat depression Depression Forum 1
S Accepting drugs aren't enough Depression Forum 2
F The drugs do work, but they can't cure unhappiness Depression Forum 2
DoctorInternet2 Be honest, do the drugs help? Depression Forum 29
dodo777 Some one I know selling drugs Depression Forum 1
F What drugs do you recommend? Depression Forum 9
W alota meds, booze and drugs Depression Forum 6
stevie_sloth I don't understand "bouts" or "episodes" of depression Depression Forum 13
P TW Don't want to be here Depression Forum 9
Fairy Lucretia don't feel well Depression Forum 27
B I don't like who I see in the mirror. Depression Forum 6
N I don't have anyone. I hate being alive i truly hate it Depression Forum 30
L Hole inside me, I don't know what I need Depression Forum 3
Floridasteve78 Want to die bit don't know why! Depression Forum 7
S I should be feeling good about tomorrow but I don't. Depression Forum 9
calmleaves ***TRIGGER WARNING*** i wanna die wanna die but don't really wanna die Depression Forum 6
MeAndMyDepression Don't you hate seeing people flaunting their happiness? Depression Forum 79
S I achieved something this morning but I don't feel good about it. Depression Forum 8
X I feel so tired all the time. I just don't want to live like this. Depression Forum 18
lifecangetbetter i don't like anyone Depression Forum 9
mirrormaker I don't even know what could make me happy Depression Forum 7
NoNameRequired I don't want to do anything Depression Forum 13
soulsearcher Don't like nighttime Depression Forum 12
Fairy Lucretia i don't want to talk to the doctor on tuesday x Depression Forum 5
F It feels like I don't belong in this world. Depression Forum 17
D I just let my problems stay as is and I don't do anything about them... too anxious to do what's needed, too depressed to want to do anything at all Depression Forum 4
T I don't know which is the right place for me Depression Forum 3
D I've been getting stalked and bullied for years and I just don't know what to do anymore... Depression Forum 3
F I don't want to live anymore. Depression Forum 32
J Don't want to wake up in the am Depression Forum 9
S Don't want to be in the world anymore Depression Forum 12
V I don't think I can do this anymore, too overwhelming to bare i'm just tired of it all Depression Forum 2
C I just don't get it... Depression Forum 2
P I Feel Like I Don't Have Almost None Happiness Hormones Left In Me Depression Forum 12
J I am lost and don't know what to do or think Depression Forum 14
Fairy Lucretia i don't want my aunt to die Depression Forum 4
Bezerker I need help and don't know where to post Depression Forum 10
Fairy Lucretia i don't feel well Depression Forum 9