• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Drugs and Depression

K

Kayaker

Your opinion on addiction? What about antidepressants?
Just some healthy discussion.
My opinion on addiction and depression: it can help short term but it has a high chance of making things worse and leading to suicide in the future. So, I would avoid and learn more healthier coping strategies; but I don't blame people who are depressed and get addicted, too. Depression crisis are a bitch to deal with, I fckng hate them.
About antidepressants: almost full 6 months trying and trying different medications, but nothing worked so far. So I think they are so weak that it's very hard for them to help at all... but if they would be something stronger, it would just lead to addiction and it wouldn't be different from other drugs like cocaine.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Your opinion on addiction? What about antidepressants?
Just some healthy discussion.
My opinion on addiction and depression: it can help short term but it has a high chance of making things worse and leading to suicide in the future. So, I would avoid and learn more healthier coping strategies; but I don't blame people who are depressed and get addicted, too. Depression crisis are a bitch to deal with, I fckng hate them.
About antidepressants: almost full 6 months trying and trying different medications, but nothing worked so far. So I think they are so weak that it's very hard for them to help at all... but if they would be something stronger, it would just lead to addiction and it wouldn't be different from other drugs like cocaine.
Hi @ambienceatmosphere
Are you on any other psych meds besides antidepressants? They might not be weak, as you say. You may just need to try other ones (even though you say that you have done so). Maybe you need an adjunct med or two. Another possibility--which I hope is not the case with you--is that you have treatment-resistant depression. I have that and no antidepressants have helped me. Neither has ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) nor rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation). I'm currently not on an antidepressant, but I am on a mood stabilizer (Lamictal), and on an antipsychotic (Seroquel). I'm also on a med (Latuda) for my bipolar depression, and on a med for my anxiety (Klonopin). The only med that I know for sure which helps me is the Klonopin. I've also recently been put on methylphenidate (Ritalin), even though I don't have ADD/ADHD. It's a very strong stimulant, and it has been a blessing for me. It really helps with my depression. I don't think you need to worry about addiction. But for me, I do have to worry about addiction with the methylphenidate. It's in the same drug class as cocaine. Perhaps you need to discuss your course of treatment with your doctor and bring up the topic of treatment-resistant depression.

K

Kayaker

Hi @ambienceatmosphere
Are you on any other psych meds besides antidepressants? They might not be weak, as you say. You may just need to try other ones (even though you say that you have done so). Maybe you need an adjunct med or two. Another possibility--which I hope is not the case with you--is that you have treatment-resistant depression. I have that and no antidepressants have helped me. Neither has ECT (electro-convulsive therapy) nor rTMS (repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation). I'm currently not on an antidepressant, but I am on a mood stabilizer (Lamictal), and on an antipsychotic (Seroquel). I'm also on a med (Latuda) for my bipolar depression, and on a med for my anxiety (Klonopin). The only med that I know for sure which helps me is the Klonopin. I've also recently been put on methylphenidate (Ritalin), even though I don't have ADD/ADHD. It's a very strong stimulant, and it has been a blessing for me. It really helps with my depression. I don't think you need to worry about addiction. But for me, I do have to worry about addiction with the methylphenidate. It's in the same drug class as cocaine. Perhaps you need to discuss your course of treatment with your doctor and bring up the topic of treatment-resistant depression.
Thanks, in the next session I will certainly mention it.