• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Drug Withdrawl Stories Please

R

Rose19602

I had a terrible time with withdrawl from an antidepressant and won't bore you with the details other than to say that I had cardiac, psychological and physical side effects.

I am just about fed up to the back teeth with doctors telling me that the symptoms I had could not have happened, and that any withdrawl symptoms are unlikely 4 months after stopping a psychiatric drug.

If you have had any longer term problems would you be so kind as to give me some brief details or what happened to you, how long you took the drug and what it was.

I feel like I have steam coming out of my ears after the latest condescending letter I received from my cardiologist....who I could quite cheerfully strangle today! :low:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There does appear to be a lot of longer term implications in taking psychiatric drugs. Far more care should be taken in prescribing them.

I was very heavily medicated at the age of 17, & again given medications at the age of 21. On both those occasions I managed to stop taking what I'd been prescribed. Then at the age of 25 I was put on 1200mg of amisulpride for a year. I feel that had a very big effect on me, & I haven't been able to stop taking it since. I had 3 withdrawal attempts & very severe experiences each time I stopped taking it. I've taken a 200mg dose for the past 9 years & doubt that I'll ever now be successfully free of it.

I do feel that far more could have been done in the past, that may have potentially had far better prognosis. Emphasis should be on proper psychosocial support to begin with, & continued, & everything done to not get people dependent on psychiatric drugs. I'd think that enough is known about the very real dangers & potential health implications of psychiatric drugs, to not only use them as a last resort, but also at minimal dosages.

I think all the psychiatric drugs have done something to my brain, & that my brain now needs this drug to function. I feel that I could have been far better helped. I'll always feel that way.

I don't know when the 'zeitgeist' will change around all this current 'label & drug' paradigm. But it all seems quite mad to me.

It is all a very complex picture, & I do think that there is a place for medications; but I don't fully understand, in the context of actually helping people, why more isn't done with other approaches to care, healing & recovery; before the prescriptions are handed out? I suppose it's easier, it's also about money, power & control, & a lot also to do with the current dominant reductionist/materialist views on the brain.

I'd hope that things aren't always quite so backwards in this area, & that things can improve with it all.

A big part of it all as well is that the majority appear to primarily want all the drugs? Maybe more people are starting to question it all a bit more? I'm not sure. We need healthier societies; in many ways - things can't carry on as they are.

Last edited:
F

flute

Since 1996 I have withdrawn from 3 anti-psychotics.

Chlorpromazine withdrawl went okay

The abrupt withdrawl from olanzapine landed me in a severe psychotic state

Withdrall from seroquel again ended with me getting sectioned

Last edited:
Stripeysocks

Stripeysocks

Being on seroquel almost got me sectioned! Withdrawals were no sleep at all for days and same for appetite (which was the only good thing!) and acute anxiety and nausea so bad I carried a bucket everywhere with me for days and the only thing that stopped it lasting even longer was that my doc put me on diazepam and zopiclone which seemed to help.

Seroxat - I didn't realise it was withdrawal, back then I didn't know you shouldn't just stop altogether without gradual reduction, I felt so ill, was in bed for 2 weeks and couldn't get to work, I remember thinking I might have meningitis as my neck was so stiff and the pain in my head and neck was so bad. The electric shocks through my head were terrible.

I have come off many other ADs and risperidone ok but to be fair I wasn't just coming off them I was transfering to other drugs so maybe that doesn't count.

R

Rose19602

Thank you to those of you who have contributed. I think it would be really useful if this thread was used to continue to be added to, in order to demonstrate that drug withdrawl problems do exist, do continue and do , in many cases, perpetuate the use of psychiatric drugs. This, for many people, is due to dependency issues and unbearable symptoms that manifest as recurrences of the original illness.

The medical profession need to be made aware of this, and the only way that our voices can be heard is if we write our experiences down and reflect on them together.

Any further contributions would be welcomed. I accept that some people feel .... and in many cases justifiably I'm sure....that their withdrawl effects from psych drugs represent a return to their previous state of illness ....and am not seeking to destroy your faith in the medication you take or advice you receive.
Your own experiences and feelings on the subject are entirely up to you and I respect them.

Nobody knows their body and what they can cope with as well as themselves.

x

julietoolie

julietoolie

Was on amitriptyline 75 mg first time at head doctor changed me to mitazapine he said straight swop low dose.took mitazapine next day so agitatef so angry could not stop crying went to a and e he said it is what you have been diagnosed with could feel myself getting angry which i dnt do felt like saying no stupid probably had that 20 years . Then no sleep for a month crisis team got me zopiclone so have slept last two weeks i kept saying something wrong they said doc knows what he is doing just saw his report this week and he thought i was on 25mg of amitripyline so think have been in withdrawal lost job because slept one afternoon wish i had never gone to diagnised since tablets mood change all day long high low high low x wasnt that ill before i went.head doc ringing mon too late had 6 weeks of hell x

coldwater00

coldwater00

I am similarly still in a withdrawal, more than 2 months after discontinuing risperidone, lithium, venlafaxine and zopiclone. I was taking these under coercion but managed to assert myself enough so that I could stop them, albeit narrowly avoiding being sectioned - but I expected that, and was willing to risk it. I have to say the venlafaxine was the worst to withdraw from initially, but it's hard to tell which symptom to attribute to which drug. So yeah, at first, withdrawing from the venlafaxine I was bombarded with dizziness, headaches, nausea and brain zaps (those were just the physical symptoms)... emotionally though, I was a wreck. Constantly crying, feeling very "wobbly" and overly sensitive, tired, anxious, lacking in motivation... basically depressed. That went on for about 2 weeks then leveled out, then slowly climbed into a slight "high" feeling. Speech and thoughts more rapid, feeling confident and happy, loads of energy.... and now I've been hit with a terrible wave of anxiety. I'm in that now and trying to cope with it, work through it, but I believe it is going to take a lot of strength to recover my coping abilities now they have been numbed for all these years with huge doses of anti-psychotics. If I could go back, I would never, ever, have taken psychiatric drugs. I can't even begin to explain how badly I think of them. Think about it. They were originally manufactured as "major tranquilizers", used to control agitated and violent people... soon this was changed to "anti-psychotics".. so then psychosis became synonymous with violence and agitation. Basically these are drugs manufactured as ways to control peoples minds. Seems far too "matrixy" to me.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
.... and now I've been hit with a terrible wave of anxiety. I'm in that now and trying to cope with it, work through it, but I believe it is going to take a lot of strength to recover my coping abilities now they have been numbed for all these years with huge doses of anti-psychotics. If I could go back, I would never, ever, have taken psychiatric drugs. I can't even begin to explain how badly I think of them. Think about it. They were originally manufactured as "major tranquilizers", used to control agitated and violent people... soon this was changed to "anti-psychotics".. so then psychosis became synonymous with violence and agitation. Basically these are drugs manufactured as ways to control peoples minds.
Yea. It takes a lot of work to recover & heal from what you have been through, but it can be done, & people do it.

I wish that I'd been aware of what I am now 23 years ago. Ideally people need a comprehensive & compassionate response to begin with. Things are hard when we're reacted to with being locked up & drugged.

After the first time it happened to me, I lasted 4 years med free before it happened again. Then after the second time I lasted again around 4 years before it happened again. Then after that 3rd time I couldn't stop the medication, despite trying 3 times, that was 15 years ago now.

In part, the medication 'works' - & some people probably do really need it. It's just a shame that more can't be done to begin with to see who would respond more/better to other 'med free' approaches, before being put on the drugs. The system is upside down - everything should be done to help & support people before putting them on medications.