• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Drug induced mania/psychosis.

C

CabbageMama

I think I have it. Can it go in fits and starts? At times I feel almost normal, but then I really am not. I know it is the medication change that has done it, but didn’t realise that until earlier today. This last fivish days have got progressively worse. It is like being in The Matrix. I was told to stop the Lamotrigine I had been on for about 9 months, tapered it and stopped on Sunday. Two weeks ago doubled the Pregabalin and Vortioxetine. I have never tolerated antidepressant, but was on it as the a psychiatrist said it would work well as I was on the mood stabiliser. It was the mood stabiliser that made me really depressed, which is why it was stopped. So then I have double the antidepressant with no stabiliser. I have called the crisis team twice today. Nothing anyone will do until Monday unless I am going to hurt myself. Any advice? This is nothing like the hypomania I haven’t had for a long time, but am used to. This started off with me feeling good - at last, I thought. Has all gone way way too far the other way though. I did call MH team on Friday, saying I was concerned, they were going to email the Psychiatrist for advice. That seemed reasonable then, but I hadn’t envisioned getting worse and Monday feels a long way away.

J

JeanPierre

No real advice here but I'm sending good vibes and if you need to talk....❤✌

C

celticlass

Did the Crisis Team not give you any advice as to how to cope over weekend? I would imagine it might take a little while for things to get sorted in truth. So any steps you could take to stay as relaxed and calm.as possible I would think.

C

CabbageMama

They were really bad. No, no advice. Apart from ringing 111 in case I had a wee infection as I explained about feeling very flushed, sweating and agitated. I then rang my Mum, who came and got me. We called the Drisis team again together. They said to just drink a lot and stay calm, it would be sorted on Monday. Is it likely to keep getting worse do you think?

C

CabbageMama

I have called 111 and the person totally understood what I was telling her. An out of hours GP is going to call me, so that feels a bit safer.

C

celticlass

That's good then. It is true that a urine infection can really knock someone off. And people do get hallucinations and voices sometimes with them. Hopefully you will get sorted out. The GP can send you to A and E. Either to be assessed by psychiatry or in terms of physical illness.

C

CabbageMama

I haven’t got a urine infection, but the GP was really good. Arranged for an emergency medication to help me manage things until Monday and said it has happened as a result of the mood stabiliser finishing/antidepressant doubling. Which has reassured me, as I know it can be sorted. Thank you. X

C

celticlass

I haven’t got a urine infection, but the GP was really good. Arranged for an emergency medication to help me manage things until Monday and said it has happened as a result of the mood stabiliser finishing/antidepressant doubling. Which has reassured me, as I know it can be sorted. Thank you. X
That's good news. I have had these ups and downs myself trying to get the right balance of medication. Not easy. We will probably hear this week how things are going with you. xx

J

JeanPierre

Do let us know how things go Monday.

C

CabbageMama

I pretty much slept Saturday night to this morning. Woke to go for a wee or have a glug of drink, then couldn’t stay awake. Decided that was better than feeling so frightened, so went with it.

Today the MH Duty worker has called me. She says the sleep bit is normal after being so high, so I am less worried about that. She talked through all that had happened, then called the Psychiatrist to ask about changing medication. He wants to keep everything the same, so 20mg Vortioxetine AM and 150mg Pregabalin AM and PM. And the Pericyazine that was issued by the emergency GP should just be used if I start feeling I need some help staying calm.

I said I was worried about this happening again, because it sounds it is not a good idea with bipolar to be taking an antidepressant without a mood stabiliser. My Psychiatrist says the Pregabalin has stabilising effects/works as a mood stabiliser. I wonder whether he is unsure about my diagnosis again. I certainly didn’t respond as I should have to the Lamotrigine.

The Duty worker says now this manic high has happened once, I would be in a far better place to recognise if it happens again....🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m not entirely reassured by this, as I really don’t want it to.

F

Failing Heart

Are all of you in Europe? I’m in the states and feel like there is no support when I’m manic. It takes weeks to get an appt to have meds adjusted and by that time I have leveled out again (and hopefully managed not to kill myself). Have never had anyone offer me an email address for if I have questions or difficulty….am I missing something? Or is the US system just shit?

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

It’s not particularly different here either. Mental health in general is under funded sadly.