• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Drug Companies

T

Twylight

I worked out there's about Half a million Schizophrenics in the Uk
The Olanzepine I take costs 120 pounds a month
If all the medicaton schizoes take is a similar cost
Ths dug companies are making 60 million pounds every month !

T

Twylight

I see No incentive for the Drug companies to alter the Status Quo

T

Twylight

I see No incentive for the Drug companies to alter the Status Quo
And it doesn't stop there :

The psychiatrists prescribe it, the pharmacists dispense it - the're all invovled in this ' Industry '.

A

Apotheosis

Yes, the system is totally rotten, utterly corrupt & it stinks to high heaven. & I would have thought it plain as day that MH 'care'' is based on drugging as many people as possible for massive profits; & has precious little to do with any actual therapeutic assistance or genuine healing & care.

Unfortunately the majority of people can't see this; which is why year in & year on, more & more people are dependant on psychoactive drugs; & believing that it's all a wonderful thing. Given their way, the psychiatric industry will have every last woman, man & child, on this planet; diagnosed, labelled & drugged. You have to be naive to think otherwise; or that 'their' agenda is any different.

The idea was seriously proposed by koestler in the Ghost in the Machine - It is not an uncommon idea.

A

Apotheosis

If it's One in a Hundred; then that's approx 600,000 Schizophrenics in the UK. Factor in that a lot of them take anti depressants, sleepers, anti-anxiety & other assorted meds. Then factor in the amount of people with Bi Polar on anti-psychotics. Then factor in the generally depressed on anti depressants.

There are estimated at 34 Million people on anti depressants in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/4736645/Anti-depressants-just-how-safe-are-they.html

Total up the amount of people on psychiatric meds in the UK - & it is conservatively well over half the country. We are talking massive profits here. I think that you are very conservative in your estimations.

I know that Eli Lilly - some 6 years ago; from Worldwide sales of Prozac alone; were bringing in $70,000,000 NET Profit per week. That's a massive amount of revenue from a single drug in their catalogue.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The cost of olanzapine came up recently at my chemist.They wont stock up because of the cost.They order mine every month when I phone them.They've been having problems getting it from the manufacturer which pisses me off because it happens so often.They normally give me a few days worth so I have to come back.Sometimes it's a nightmare!

T

Twylight

The cost of olanzapine came up recently at my chemist.They wont stock up because of the cost.They order mine every month when I phone them.They've been having problems getting it from the manufacturer which pisses me off because it happens so often.They normally give me a few days worth so I have to come back.Sometimes it's a nightmare!
It might be because your on a 15mg tablet, that is an awkward size

if you asked your your Psych to prescribe your dosage in 10's and 5's they might be more available ?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That's a good idea.I've got to see him soon anyway about my escitalopram.He's going to reduce my mirtazopine and increase the escitalopram.
The 5mg dose of escitalopram has completely stopped my panic attacks.
Back to the cost of olanzapine,I wonder why the NHS doesn't buy gineric?

T

Twylight

It's because we still have to buy Olanzapine off the USA

We're not allowed the patent to produce it ourselves yet

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
more spent on advertising!

A new study by two York University researchers estimates the U.S. pharmaceutical industry spends almost twice as much on promotion as it does on research and development, contrary to the industry’s claim

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080105140107.htm

The researchers’ estimate is based on the systematic collection of data directly from the industry and doctors during 2004, which shows the U.S. pharmaceutical industry spent 24.4% of the sales dollar on promotion, versus 13.4% for research and development, as a percentage of US domestic sales of US$235.4 billion

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's because we still have to buy Olanzapine off the USA

We're not allowed the patent to produce it ourselves yet
I remember I bought some off the internet a couple of years ago.It was from India and cost about £40 for the month.I had been on olanzapine previously but they took me off it too soon.I waqs really suffering so I bought online.
I tried to buy valium online but couldn't find anywhere where it wasn't so expensive.I dont need it now I'm on escitalopram.I hope it doesn't stop working.