• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Drug (Cannabis) induced mental health problems

T

Torch

This is my first post here and I am completely new to this forum, so I apologise in advance if I am posting in the wrong area, posting about an unrelated topic to the forum or if I am breaking any forum rules.

I am posting here because I am looking for advice about my brother (23 years old). He's had a long history of smoking weed and taking ecstasy and about 4 years ago he was diagnosed with cannabis induced psychosis, although in reality he had been living with it undiagnosed for more than that. He had been (and still is) having hallucination, displaying major paranoia, acting delusional resulting in threatening and at times out right violent behaviour. After receiving very little help from the NHS (simply prescribing some anti-psychotics and telling us to get on with it) to help him we decided to move him to Canada where he would (hopefully) be away from the drugs and we could attempt to get him better. Once he was there he was diagnosed with bipolar, which then soon changed to schizophrenic-effective disorder which currently remains as his diagnosis and he was placed in some assisted housing. In reality, his situation deteriorated, he out right refused to take his pills and as a result he became more awkward and more paranoid (denying that he was sick, we were making it up etc). On the weekend we discovered that he has been smoking crack. He has never been involved with this kind of thing and this is a clear indicator that things are getting desperate. My family are considering moving him back to England; the reality is though, is that in his situation, it is unlikely that he would be allowed back on the plane. Furthermore, we have no idea what to do with him once he is back in England. There is no way my mum and dad are capable of dealing with someone in his kind of position and we are at a complete loss as to what to do. As I said we received a very hostile reception from the NHS and GPs who were simply disinterested denying there was anything they could do. We even tried our local MP to try and get some sort of support, but, and I hate to sound cynical, it simply wasn't important enough for him to look into.

So, my question is, is there anyone who could direct us to a charity? Or some type of organisation? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your time and apologise for the lengthy nature of this post.

T

Twylight

Hello Torch and welcome

I take it your are British Citizens ( dual )
Once you were here you could probably get help from the NHS
The only Charity here I can think of is Mind

They must have some mental health support in Canada
If a person becomes violent, then even if you phone a Doctor they will contact the Police

T

Torch

Hello Torch and welcome

I take it your are British Citizens ( dual )
Once you were here you could probably get help from the NHS
The only Charity here I can think of is Mind

They must have some mental health support in Canada
If a person becomes violent, then even if you phone a Doctor they will contact the Police
Hi and thanks for the welcome.

Indeed I am a British citizen and both a Canadian one. If he does come back, then our first port of call will be the NHS/GP. However, as I said we are looking for alternative routes as they simply don't care enough.

We have looked at Mind, but more the merrier-the more info/advice we get the better informed we are to make decisions.

Thanks

T

Twylight

It sounds horrid but once your here and he is diagnosed ' mentally ill ', they might ask him to go into hospital ,if he refuses they will section him under the Mental Health Act - I think ?

T

Twylight

It sounds horrid but once your here and he is diagnosed ' mentally ill ', they might ask him to go into hospital ,if he refuses they will section him under the Mental Health Act - I think ?
A section 2 is 28 days with enforced medication

A section 3 can be anything from 72 hours to six months with enforced medication

T

Twylight

Is he getting any support or medicine at the moment ?

T

Twylight

In the Uk No medicine can be enforced unless you are ' mentally ill '

T

Twylight

In the Uk No medicine can be enforced unless you are ' mentally ill '
I'm taking medication and well, and I can stop the medicine when I like

But as soon as I become ' mentally Ill ' they'll section me

T

Torch

Hi thanks for the reply- can i ask where you got your info from with regards to the Mental Health Act it might be helpful to know the ins and outs, as it were.

He was prescribed Olanzapine (sp?) and i think they are the pills he is currently supposed to be on (he refuses to take them). Due to him being in Canada, I don't know there laws concerning mental health and forced medication.

Thanks for all the help though, it is really appreciated.

T

Twylight

Yes. i've been sectioned many times over 22 years

I think Canada has similar Laws
I had a freind who flew to Canada when unwell and he spent four weeks in a psychiatric hospital there

It's important to get him help ASAP - he's probably terrified

T

Twylight

Yes. i've been sectioned many times over 22 years

I think Canada has similar Laws
I had a freind who flew to Canada when unwell and he spent four weeks in a psychiatric hospital there

It's important to get him help ASAP - he's probably terrified
Perhaps a phone call to a local psychiatric hospital or social services

T

Torch

As far as i know. He's not. Which I know would make the situation worse. He's going to have to be sectioned- it's just a matter of getting him sectioned...

T

Twylight

If he is in Psychosis stopping the weed or anything else won't help

He Needs medication