Dropping out of college because of mental health and finance issues

J

James Online

I haven't used this website in quite a while but I'm not sure who to talk to/ask for advice.

I have recently started a college course which I'm loving, I'm doing well, have made some great friends and am on track to move on to university in a couple of years. The problem is that I think I may have to drop out. I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for quite a while now, I'm currently on antidepressants which haven't shifted my mood at all. Despite struggling with these issues, I'm doing well at coping in college because it's a very controlled environment where I am supported by the staff and my friends.

The problem I have is that I'm not able to support myself financially, my parents are currently paying for all of my financial obligations but they've made it clear that they're not going to be able to help me next month because they can't afford to anymore. I've tried getting a part-time job but every time I have an interview I have panic attacks, I feel physically sick and find it hard to cope. I'm going to be getting college finance but because I live with my parents I'm not going to be getting very much, probably just enough to pay my obligations for a month.

The only solution I can think of is dropping out of college and going back on to statutory pay which I was receiving previously before starting college, that's something that I really don't want to do. I'm 21 now and I'm looking at starting university when I'm 25 and finishing when I'm 28-29. I'd much rather stay in college but I'm not sure what to do.

Is there anyone/anywhere that can give me advice about this sort of thing?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Can you work part-time and study part-time. I know interviews are scary, the more practice you have the better you become.
Sorry this is happening to you, good luck for your future.
Take care

J

James Online

It's an odd situation because before my mental health started to get really bad I was really confident with interviews and I still objectively know how to answer the questions and everything like that. My mental health has just taken a major nose dive in the past 6 months.

F

Fancyharm

Hi James

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing such problems. I know how you feel. It is really difficult, but eventually I have got better. I found that positive affirmations have helped me, re-wiring my brain with them has really helped. I'm like you in that I know how to answer the questions but the nerves take over. Also I did visualisation which helped a lot. Please keep trying, I have overcome agoraphobia from 27 years ago, so it is possible to get over things.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Work, Money, Benefits, Housing and Education 7