• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Driving/DVLA

~minnie~

~minnie~

I am seeing the psych doctor on wednesday and I am scared that shes going to inform DVLA to stop me from driving. I am not a danger to myself or others in the car as I would never crash the car on purpose, I wouldn't do that to other road users but I am scared taht she will say that I cant drive....can she do this? How can I convince her that I am okay driving, if she stops me from driving... I won't be able to go anywhere...I will be stuck in because I dont like using public transport because of all the people.
I hear voices all the time and am on medication for it, I only started back on the medciation 5 weeks ago and it hasnt kicked in yet and the voices are really loud, I also see a man shouting at me.

Any help much appreciated

J

jamesdean

i have just filled in my forms 4 my 3 year driving licence its restricted because i'm type 1 diabetic but this time they have really wanted 2 know so much more about my mental illness, which i'm convinced they will refuse my licence, i just have 2 wait n c. jd

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
ot license don't feel safe driving moped on meds, if i meet a drunk driver my reaction time will be slowed, it won't be my fault and the insurance will pay as the instructor put it, but that won't do you any good if you end up in hospital.

I hate public transport, but i'm probably safer, social anxiety and all

Got taxicab card which allows me 2 short journeys a week which i can pool to make longer journeys, the buses aren't nice but short distance ok

Doubt if i'd pass the license, first theres my eyesight and second the meds would make it difficult though heard rumours some have passed

Strictly speaking should take CBT again but the insurance hasn't asked, just got road tax, an expensive hobby

F

FruitCakeInKent

I have recently passed my test in April, and I am worst affected by my illness after dark (so around 1900) and avoid driving after this time; however, as it is sudden, I find myself frequently pulling-over.

I once took a trip to Nottinghamshire and had to constantly pull-over on the A1 and just yesterday I found myself turning-back on the M25 as I couldn't hack a journey down the M23 to West Sussex. :(

I sincerely hope that if I see my General Practitioner about this again that they cannot inform Swansea that I am 'too far gone' to drive, as I do not drive when I know I am dodgy.

T

Twylight

When I became unwell my psych asked me to ' refrain From driving ' - which I did.
If I had continued to drive he would have informed DVLA

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
When I became unwell my psych asked me to ' refrain From driving ' - which I did.
If I had continued to drive he would have informed DVLA

Ive had the same experience as well. Ive been asked to hand my keys to someone else. The last time was for three weeks, but i did realise my concentration was crap as id had a bump. I dread the thought of the DVLA being informed and losing my licence. So i think its better to go along with what they say

S

staples

ive got a 1 yr restricted licence, i cant use public transport to many spirits

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
That sounds like a good compromise to take and one that shows the trust that they have in you.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've just started my moped, it's a month since i've used it, parking is so difficult and you have to pay, i use a pushbike or the bus when i go shopping, it also takes so long to unlock all the locks put on the gear and psych myself up

Q

quality factor

driving

Hi,
I've been fortunate enough to drive all through my illness, but have had to assure the powers that be that i will refrain from driving when I feel too bad.
My CPN told me quite clearly that if drove when unwell she wouldn't hesitate to inform DVLA and wrote it into my CPA.
Fourteen months ago i developed Epilepsy and had my license revoked for twelve months. I have had the joys of using public transport since then.
I have had to have twelve clear months without a seizure in order to get my license back...I'm on course for Jan 2009.
My CPN told me that the DVLA would probably write to her for a low down on my mental health state before letting me have my license back. I've had to assureher that I would stay safe. As she pointed out you have to consider the danger you are to the rest of the public as well as yourself.:cry:

S

staples

Hi,
I've been fortunate enough to drive all through my illness, but have had to assure the powers that be that i will refrain from driving when I feel too bad.
My CPN told me quite clearly that if drove when unwell she wouldn't hesitate to inform DVLA and wrote it into my CPA.
Fourteen months ago i developed Epilepsy and had my license revoked for twelve months. I have had the joys of using public transport since then.
I have had to have twelve clear months without a seizure in order to get my license back...I'm on course for Jan 2009.
My CPN told me that the DVLA would probably write to her for a low down on my mental health state before letting me have my license back. I've had to assureher that I would stay safe. As she pointed out you have to consider the danger you are to the rest of the public as well as yourself.:cry:
good luck with that i hope you stay well as we all do

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
On the mental health form the DVLA sends out theres a question, do you have a CPN go to a day centre or have been in hospital in the last 3yrs

I can say no, i've got an outreach worker so i'm not lying, as a result the beaurocracy goes down a different line.

I have a provisional license, when i applied it was for 3yrs when i renewed it it became for life

Q

quality factor

DVLA

Never knew there was a mental health form sent out by DVLA!
My Consultants down the line have always used their discretion and allowed me to stay on the road with the full knowledge of the rules regarding driving and mentally ill clients.
I would rather be advised by a Consultant than a CPN.
The Consultant has to sign the Care Plan (or should), so he/she is up to date with a client's 'wellness' to drive if it is appropriate.
I don't think it's a case of lying at the end of the day, rather being honest with yourself and understanding that you are safe to be on the road.
Nobody should take to the road if they are not capable and shouldn't be prepared to put themselves and others at risk...what about folks who get into a vehicle after taking drink? ...driving is a responsibility not to be taken lightly,mentally ill or not.:)

~minnie~

~minnie~

On the mental health form the DVLA sends out theres a question, do you have a CPN go to a day centre or have been in hospital in the last 3yrs

I can say no, i've got an outreach worker so i'm not lying, as a result the beaurocracy goes down a different line.

I have a provisional license, when i applied it was for 3yrs when i renewed it it became for life
I didnt know there was a form that the DVLA sends out....is the DVLA supposed to be informed of my mental illness?...not sure where I stand with this now.

Thankyou the replies and advice.

I went to see psych and it want my regular psych and saw a locum and he didnt mention my driving at all even though he asked me lots of questions about sleeping, being suicidal etc. There are times when my cousin thinks I shouldnt be driving so she drives me around places instead.

S

staples

I didnt know there was a form that the DVLA sends out....is the DVLA supposed to be informed of my mental illness?...not sure where I stand with this now.

Thankyou the replies and advice.

I went to see psych and it want my regular psych and saw a locum and he didnt mention my driving at all even though he asked me lots of questions about sleeping, being suicidal etc. There are times when my cousin thinks I shouldnt be driving so she drives me around places instead.
i was sent numerous forms from dvla i answered honestly. most probably you will recieve a restricted licence. but your consultant would have told you to stop driving if he/she thought you were a risk