Driving Anxiety

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Does anyone else have driving anxiety? I do and it terrifies me! I wish I could drive. How do you over come driving anxiety? How do you go about getting your drivers license when a psychiatrist says you can't drive? Thank you.

somedaymaybe

somedaymaybe

I used to be scared of driving, it ignited my anxiety every time I thought about going for my driving tests. But then I needed to find employment, and having my own transport was going to increase my chances. That was my motivator and it helped in going for my test and getting through the anxiety. You're only really anxious prior to and possibly during, but the more you do it the more comfortable you become and anxiety becomes far less. So my suggestion would be to find that motivation, and face the anxiety. Not sure why a psychiatrist has said you can't drive; what's the reason for this? Is there more to it than just having anxiety?

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

A psychiatrist said I had a seizure before. But I don't have seizure problems though.

vanish

vanish

I have terrible driving anxiety. I get easily distracted these days and find concentration sometimes really difficult. It hasn't prevented me from obtaining a driving license however. I did have to submit medical forms from my GP and psychiatrist and in it he said my medications could potentiallycause a seizure. I've never had one however and he stipulated that, so I passed and was deemed fit for driving. Doesn't mean I am not terrified of it though! The mere thought makes me shiver.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Thanks for your reply. I hope I can overcome my fear and get my drivers license someday. I just hope my new psychiatrist would let me. I told her how terrified I am of it. :unsure:

X

xxxmetal-chickxxx

I just failed my driving test due to major anxiety and over something stupid.
Booked in for 2 weeks time and I’m literally having heart palpitations thinking about it.
It’s causing me to proper freak out.
I’m usually an ok driver (learner) just as soon as a stranger is in the car with me sends me into a state.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I just failed my driving test due to major anxiety and over something stupid.
Booked in for 2 weeks time and I’m literally having heart palpitations thinking about it.
It’s causing me to proper freak out.
I’m usually an ok driver (learner) just as soon as a stranger is in the car with me sends me into a state.
Oh no. Sorry. :hug:

S

silly me

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey Fubarlady..

Like someone else already stated, you just have to basically get used to it..

practice, practice, practice..:)

I, personally hated driving due to my anxiety.. Now, i can drive from any place in the US to Canada and other countries.

Why?

Because of the job i used to have. Before that? I was always in airplanes. When 9/11 hit, the whole mentality of the security personnel changed dramatically. There were some of the personnel, that knew me by name, and we exchanged pleasantries/jokes/smiles/hugs whenever i would walk into the airport and get checked in.

When 9/11 happened? They turned on a dime. Everyone was a suspect or terrorist in their eyes. It seemed as if someone struck them with a power trip stick.. It became embarrassing. Especially when one of them pulled out my feminine hygiene protection, and asked: What is this?? As if they had never seen tampons before.

Yes, friends and neighbors.. He opened the box, pulled them out and held one of them up for AAAAAALLLL the world to see..:rolleyes:

After that? If i had an assignment that i could drive to? I'd pack up the car and go..

Yes, i was nervous/anxious as hell. But what i've learned to do during my trips was to play very relaxing streaming music, or whatever suited my mood to keep me calm, and focused on the road.

Music is a huge help..

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Thanks Silly Me. my psychiatrist doesn't think it's a good idea for me to drive. She won't write me a letter clearing me too. Besides I wouldn't have a car to drive even if I could get my drivers license. Sorry that happened to you. Music helps my anxiety too. :hug:

C

can't go outside

I spend a lot of time on Google maps and it helps. If there's a part of my route that I'm nervous about, like certain intersections, I just find a way around it. I don't mind driving a few extra minutes if it means I am more relaxed. If I encounter an aggressive driver, I just pull over and let them pass. It takes a few minutes but I feel better after they're gone. I also find "safe zones" along my route where I can pull over and breathe for a few seconds. Don't let anyone pressure you into taking highway or other routes where you're uncomfortable!

Drooo

Drooo

Do you mean you have anxiety about the very thought of driving or when actually doing it?

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Do you mean you have anxiety about the very thought of driving or when actually doing it?
I have severe anxiety at the thought of driving. Besides I'm not allowed to get my drivers licence.

P

Perseida

You try your best to drive savely and accept the risk driving has. If necessary drive with an experienced friend or take additional driving lessons.

If a psychiatrist says you aren't allowed go drive a car, you simply don't drive a car. Doing otherwise would be irresponsible and highly despicable.

Drooo

Drooo

My anxiety is so severe that I can't keep the car going straight. I always sweve!
Oh that's a shame. If that's the case then I think it's probably only right that you don't drive just now. The one thing that I think is really important on the road is confidence. A lot of bad drivers don't seem to be sure of what to do at times, or where they should be in the road etc. It is often those guys that cause problems or accidents because they do unpredictable things (although granted a lot are caused by impatient arseholes as well!). With experience you learn a lot, perhaps most importantly about other drivers and you kind of develop a sixth sense for what they're about to do, which helps you to avoid things. It has kept me out of danger a number of times.

Unfortunately I don't really know of any ways to develop that experience without being on the road and actually doing it. Perhaps there's some kind of off-road learning available that I'm not aware of that could be of use, at least to be able to familiarize yourself with the practical aspects of driving? Might be worth a look.