• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Driving and depression

OddsocksUK

OddsocksUK

Okay so. I suffer with depression and anxiety, Around January last year (which is the anniversary of my mums recent death) I was struggling and went to the doctors. The doctor I saw was a locum doctor id never seen before. I told her I was struggling a little and though I should go on anti depressants again and agreed to try 30MG fluoxetine. I got hold of my medical records a short time after due to dealing with solicitors over a car accident that was someone else's fault. I read that entry with others out of curiosity, and shes stated that Im "having suicidal thoughts, And although I wouldnt act on them due to living with my girlfriend and her son, I think Id act on them if i was on my own". Now this is completely untrue from what was actually said, She asked if Id had suicidal thoughts and I said NOT SINCE my mother died (2 years ago at that point) And stated that It helped a lot having them at the time.
During the same appointment i stated that sometimes when my anxiety is bad and im in new situations I struggle and panick and crave being somewhere or around someone familiar which is making it hard to work. Shes somehow turned this into saying I have minor disassociation and "feel like the world isnt real." Which isnt the case, Ive never felt out of touch or any physical affect from my mental health conditions. So Ive contacted the main GP and they've looked over the entryand said that whilst they cant delete it they will add my letter to the thing to show that Ive disuputed whats been put. Now my question is... Will this cause trouble with me driving? I know i dont need to report my medication or depression to the DVLA as it is not bad enough to impact my driving and my meds are very low dose with 0 side effects (its been 7 months since the appointment and starting the tablets). But im worried that if i ever went for a driving job or the DVLA ever got my records Id be at risk of my license being took. I honestly am not suicidal and i like driving but im safe and respectful and would never even consider endangering others. Do you think with the notes of my objections that I would be covered? not only that, but with it being 7 months from what ive read on DVLA they want 3-6 months stability even if they did revoke your license for suicidal thoughts etc, and its now been 7 months with entries on my record stating im doing better in general. Do you guys think ill be okay? And would you have any concerns with having a group 2 medical and being in a situation where my records may be asked for? (to confirm im not currently seeing a counsellor etc, Ive never been hospitalised for mental health or needed emergency services, I honestly am stable and just anxious that I now may be caused problems and loose something i rely on due to a doctor not listening to me in the slightest.. it has made me nervous to see any other doctor than the GP ive seen since i was a child..

OddsocksUK

OddsocksUK

Edit: to Clarify , I havent had any letters or anything from the DVLA it isnt a case the doctors have thought anythings so bad that it needs to be reported, however its upsetting feeling that i havent been lisented too and that the things stated arent true, and i know the DVLA website states issue with driving with suicidal thoughts so im not panicked that if they ever needed to see my records and saw that entry it would cause problems :(

Mikrokosmos

Mikrokosmos

If you want to know my opinion I think you can obviously driving.

And If you really need the doctor, change that doctor immediately for another.

Never give for noone possibility to talkling you about what you think or what you feel. You know your thoughts. Not doctors.