• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

drinking cos I lack confidence?

C

cally75

Hi. Anyone will tell u I'm a drinker. Thing is, am I drinking cos I have no confidence or have no confidence cos I drink? It's a tricky problem! Drinking part of my personality & think if I stop, I'll be boring. I think I'm funny when I'm drinking. Any advice??

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I think you are a likeable person, and I am not aware of you drinking. You seem to have had a run of bad luck, but it will end eventually. They say moderation is key.

C

cally75

In my day brat "children should be seen, not heard" so if I've nothing interesting to say, I just shut up. Way I was brought up sadly mate

A

Alienated

They call Ethanol Alcohol "SPIRIT'S"

For a VERY good reason.

Iteresting the tags for this thread are for Drinking, Personality, Problem ?

Think about that...........

Last edited:
A

Alienated

Yeah. Wot about it?

I said think about it...

What is a personailty disorder ?

What is the definition of Spirit ? And it NOT spiritum :(

It's Spiritus ( Breath)

And what does it mean to be Under the influence ?

It means being under the infulence of another Spirit ( Which might I add they use a Breathalizer to monitor degree of influence)..

And it effects your personality.... And usually ruins lives, destroys futures, costs unbelievable amounts of money, control you, and can get you arrested in some circumstances...

Now what kind of Spirit's are in control of you ?

Get it now ?

Last edited:
A

Alienated

Only thing I drink is cider mate
Is it fermented alcoholic cidar?

Of couse it is, or you wouldn't even be drinking it to get the effects produced...

The ONLY problem with running from reality.... is you can't ! It's a illusionary lie told by a bad spirit..

Last edited:
F

fair&square75

Can totally relate cally,I've drank in the past to give me confidence and still can...its always been a problem with me for ad long as I can remember but I had to cut down at one point because it got out of hand,I'm like a totally different person in drink,and that's why I did it I guess and it killed my mental pain,but I've realised with me,drink takes more than it gives and now I control it and it doesn't me (one of the hardest things I've ever had to do) I think many do the same,like a few drinks before hitting the clubs to give Dutch courage,cider is bad for me though and I get depressed drinking it x

C

cally75

Fair & square. Yeah mate. I think the drinks contouring me. I get no enjoyment from it so I gotta ask "why bother?" Costs me £10 a day & 5 yr ago my liver function was not good. Must be worse now. I shudder to think

T

tobermory

Warning...post may be depressing

I can only share my experience buddy. I've been drinking daily for the past 7 years to alleviate anxiety, boost confidence and talk charming.

Where has it led me to? My anxiety levels have shot up like never before. My girlfriend of 7 years left me just as we were planning to get engaged and married. I'm unable to hold my job anymore because of the alcohol withdrawal anxiety during the daytime. When I was working (I'm an attorney at bar) people could smell the stink of vodka on my breath from my drinking orgies the night before and talk about it behind my back. I've drained so much money on alcohol, I can't even calculate. Once, I was so broke, I bought the cheapest foulest liquor which people like hobos drink. My parents are sad and heartbroken at what I've turned out to be (I was a good student and a good lawyer). I've had so many accidents when drunk...a couple of them near fatal. I've almost killed a person in a vehicle accident when drunk...and I was delivered a mob beating for it. I've tried to quit twice but relapsed both times...once with a seizure. I've forgot how to chat normally with a person without drink. I've entered into innumerable fights ...sometimes even physical, under the influence. And nowadays, I'm even afraid of stepping out of home or performing ordinary tasks like shopping or placing a phone call for some service ... so much so that all my shopping these days is done online.

I could go on and on, but the point is, I started alcohol as a crutch for confidence and I ended up hitting rock bottom. Don't let this happen to you. Stop while you still can. I'm now seeking the help of a psychiatrist once again, to quit. Please stop drinking and seek professional help.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

I was a very light drinker, but after finishing my studies and finding myself unemployed, I started drinking a bit more than usual. I found it increased my sense of optimism, and gave me a warm glow: It'll be alright in the morning, and a job will turn up soon, sort of thing...

I started drinking a bit more than usual in the evenings, and then a bit earlier, and sometimes in the early afternoon.

The problem I found, is that drinking increases my social anxiety, and it's harder for me to be around people, even when only slightly tipsy. Most people find the opposite to be the case, but not me. Even if I go out with family, I feel more self-conscious and anxious after a drink, so I tend to take in very little alcohol, or stick to non-alcoholic drinks.

I also find these days, that the sense of optimism doesn't come with a drink anymore. Now I tend to feel down, frustrated and angry.

In glad really, that alcohol increases my anxiety, cos if it didn't, and I could use it as a crutch, I would definitely have a serious drinking problem by now :)