• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Drink && drugs

J

jema88

spoke to my MHdoc... told her about ym latest binge that left me feeling suicaidal.. shes advised me to stop the drugs say's im ok to drink to to stop drugs altogether.. which im going to put all my heart into doing.. does anyone else have drink or drug problems if so how did you get off them??..xx

T

TOONAFISH

Hi i replied to your other post not sure if you got it yet tho??

I stopped taking drugs 7 years ago after hospital admission.

I was lying to myself about how serious it was until i got taken to hospital.

That was the kick start i needed, i stopped going out for a while, then started going out but not going back to places i knew thered be drugs. now i can be around drug users and not take. hard sometimes but def worth it the next day

hope you do well xxx

J

jema88

ahh right i see yeaa i really need to knock it on the head compleatly.. do you drink at all??..xxx

S

skyblue

Hi i replied to your other post not sure if you got it yet tho??

I stopped taking drugs 7 years ago after hospital admission.

I was lying to myself about how serious it was until i got taken to hospital.

That was the kick start i needed, i stopped going out for a while, then started going out but not going back to places i knew thered be drugs. now i can be around drug users and not take. hard sometimes but def worth it the next day

hope you do well xxx
To quit the drug taking, I also had to get away from everything, which meant losing friends too. I moved abroad and worked away for about a year. It was my only chance, I couldn't think of any other way.

With the alcohol, I learnt the hard way. I became extremely ill and needed hospitalisation for detox.

I'm scared to touch either now. :flowers:

T

TOONAFISH

Hi I do drink but not like what i used too. I used to drink say from 7pm till 11am next day or do a couple of days without sleeping say fri teatime till sunday.

used to drink vodka and anything going really.

now i drink lager shandy then a few bacardi breezers and occassionally a couple of apple soures shots or something.

helps loads.

had a bender a month or so back and was suicidal. i will fall off the wagon again im sure but for the main im aff it. x

S

suki1066

aww well done thats really good!!xxx i will try xx

J

jema88

sorry i went on lap top and was signed in as my mum for some reason just realised.. i will try and lay of the alcohol as well as the drugs xxx

S

shell

Hi,I drank alot everyday nearly a bottle of wine. I don't drink now its hard because I have to deal with feelings I have. :(. I got advised not to drink because its a depressant and can stop the meds working properly x

S

skyblue

Hi,I drank alot everyday nearly a bottle of wine. I don't drink now its hard because I have to deal with feelings I have. :(. I got advised not to drink because its a depressant and can stop the meds working properly x
I can't understand why any professional would say it's ok to drink alcohol whilst taking medication because you're right, firstly it's a depressant and also as you say, it stops the medication from working.

Last edited:
lulubelle

lulubelle

I was heavily on coke and booze a few years back, I couldn't have one without the other at the time, so I would try to give up coke but just end up taking it every time I had a drink.
In the end I moved away and broke all communication with anyone who takes drugs or drinks. I haven't touched cocaine since. I was manic high beginning of Feb, on the way back down couple of weeks ago I went on a binge drink and started cryng, haven't stopped since. It truly is a depressive, avoid at all costs!!!

R

rasselas

There is unfortunately very little research into psychiatric drug interactions and alcohol.

Alcohol doesn't so much stop say an anti-depressant or an anti-psychotic from 'working'. First, we must humbly accept that the mechanism of all the antidepressants and antipsychotics is unknown. No one really knows what they do, how they do it, and why. In fact, much of their clinical benefit may be derived from the placebo effect.

Alcohol depresses the central nervous system at a certain dose, although it begins by stimulating it. This may lead to problems for some people because:

(1) it lowers inhibitions
(2) it sedates (which for some people may increase the sedation effects of their psychiatric drugs - although, conversely, many people use alcohol and other stimulants to counteract the sedative effects of medications)
(3) it can increase impulsivity
(4) it kills brain cells and puts extra strain on the kidneys and liver
(5) the physical recovery process can be many days after use and this can worsen symptoms of unhappiness and despair

So alcohol and other drugs don't so much prevent psychiatric drugs from working (so far as the evidence is concerned) but add another complicating factor to an already complex situation.

Years ago, when I was on a ridiculously high dose of antipsychotics, I'd go to a bar once every week and drink 8-10 pints. I'd walk out as steadily as I walked in. The antipsychotics actually kept me 'sober' in some ways. Odd. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this - the ability to drink huge amounts of alcohol while on psychiatric drugs?

Of course, alcohol itself can lead to psychosis - it damages the brain. And it will generally worsen feelings of unhappiness and despair in the long term.

But like I say there is little to no evidence it stops the drugs from 'working', although as I've pointed out, exactly how the drugs are 'working' in the first place is an unknown.

Everything in moderation, is the sensibilists mantra. I think they may have a point. :tea:

T

TOONAFISH

Everything in moderation, is the sensibilists mantra. I think they may have a point.

Wish i could get this drummed into my thick skull.

got in at 11am last time.

i agree tho, moderation is the key

S

*Sapphire*

Odd. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this - the ability to drink huge amounts of alcohol while on psychiatric drugs?
The complete opposite, I fall asleep or end up waking up without remembering how I got to bed, after two drinks! I have found it better not to drink alcohol to excess if at all whilst on meds.

Did others view you as sober as you walked in Mark?

I seem to have more tolerance to meds than alcohol in some ways, after coming out of hospital once a gp told me that he was surprised I could walk into the surgery, he was appalled at the cocktail of drugs I was on and said I was on enough meds to knock out a horse (these were my day meds!).

Maybe I'm a hardened med-oholic. :p

S

skyblue

There is quite a bit of evidence explaining that alcohol and medication increases depression and intoxication though, a risk I'd rather not take again.

Alcohol and psychiatric drugs act on the same set of chemical stimulants in the brain. Thus medication like anti-d's are likely to elevate the levels of intoxication in the body.
Interaction of psychiatric drugs and alcohol is particulary risky as it directly impairs the control of the brain over the body. It's a lethal combination. Psychiatric drugs when combined with certain drinks can cause fatal effects.

I'd much rather drink my Lemon and Ginger tea :).

R

rasselas

THREAD HIJACK ALERT!

Wish i could get this drummed into my thick skull.

got in at 11am last time.

i agree tho, moderation is the key
Aye, Toonafish. I think most people realise in the end. Maybve it comes with age. It did with me, thankfully. I hope it does for you too.

Did others view you as sober as you walked in Mark?
I was voted 'Most Soberly Entering Man' for three years running, back in the day. And once voted, 'Man Least Likely to Fall Over or Stumble into Others'.

:)

There is quite a bit of evidence explaining that alcohol and medication increases depression and intoxication though, a risk I'd rather not take again.

Alcohol and psychiatric drugs act on the same set of chemical stimulants in the brain. Thus medication like anti-d's are likely to elevate the levels of intoxication in the body.
Interaction of psychiatric drugs and alcohol is particulary risky as it directly impairs the control of the brain over the body. It's a lethal combination. Psychiatric drugs when combined with certain drinks can cause fatal effects.

I'd much rather drink my Lemon and Ginger tea :).
You are of course right. Regardless of research evidence, we can intuitively state with some confidence that alcohol is the unreliable friend to all that suffer any form of psychological distress.

I now limit myself to 3-4 pints per week. Although I'm off meds and just 2 pints is enough to send me reeling. I think some people are supersensitive to the euphoric effects of alcohol and that's what makes it so appealing. But it can be a dark, dark drug.

All over the UK this weekend terrible things will occur because people introduce this substance to their brain.

For anyone reading this - please don't be one of them. And if life or where you are is so shit you need alcohol to make it seem better, start making plans. Move. Change. Transform. Find a place where alcohol is not needed to make it bearable.

Aha - they retort (with justification). It's fine you saying that, you git - you gave up the hard drinking years ago...

:)ach...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 2
Zana Bipolar Forum 8
G Bipolar Forum 1