• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Dreams

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I just wondered if anyone else has really weird dreams. Im not sure if its my meds or the illness.

They are always really stressful dreams, usually with me losing something and running round the streets barefoot trying to find it,usually my car. Or else its my handbag. I usually find my bag but my purse is missing.

I also have very terrifying nightmares when i wake myself and my neighbours up, with my screaming. Fortunatly im very good friends with them.

My psychatrist doesnt seem interested and doesnt seem to realise how distressing they are. I have told my cpn and they put me on zopiclone to help me sleep, but that only works for a couple of days.

Im on a real cocktail, Depakote, sertraline, propanalol, and buspirone for anxiety, Im sure all this cant be helping:confused:

Attachments

wife

wife

Founding Member
I used to get awful dreams as a child, really vivd but haven't for many years now, well, I am sure I dream, medically we all have to, but I never remember them when I wake

the only exception to that is when I was on sleeping tablets for a few days (zoplicone, by co-incidence) I dreamt wierd dreams those nights

I know lots of people (with MH probs) who have really wierd dreams a lot of the time and my Dad has the most random dreams I have ever heard of and he is one of the most sane people I have ever met

I wouldn't have thought it was too much to be concerned about, in fact it could be one of the many MH related things where the more you worry about it the more it is a problem (stress that causes stress, if you catch my drift)

Hope you get a restfull night's sleep tonight

Jay

connect

connect

Admin
Hi Daffy, the dreams you are describing sound like normal dreams/nightmares to me. I've had the same dream (about the lost car) a number of times, so it seems to be quite a common one :D. I've also had dreams of being lined up in front of a firing squad by a swimming pool and being shot dead... being chased by cars with hitmen... or (embarrassing but also common, I believe) venturing out to a social do only to discover that I'm wearing nothing from the shirt down :redface:... never mind the one about having sex in highly public places (ahem :p) ...

I don't know if the meds would make the dreams worse or more frequent, or maybe you are better able to remember your dreams as a result of the meds, but just thought I'd let you know that your dreams don't sound unusual at all :).

connect

connect

Admin
Book about dreams

Coming to think of it, I read a great book recently entitled "Head Trip - Adventures on the Wheel of Consciousness" by Jeff Warren, which has a few chapters dedicated to dreams and dreaming and dispels a lot of misconceptions people might have about this and other states of mind... very interesting read :D

L

latenight

Founding Member
Re:...

I now have had two interpretations of dreaming and they're:

1) Fulfill your shortcomings when you didn't fulfill in the day times of the day so you dream the dream at that night...And, in most dreaming experiences,

2) you're put into distress mode and feel terrible and fearful as and after the dreaming experience and it's been part of Mind Controlling that beams the horrible stuff to your brain as you're asleep so you'd feel terrible after you woke up...

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I do realise that some of my dreams are to do with the life i have lead. I was in a very violent marriage to an alcoholic and serial adulterer . And a lot of the dreams are about him making a fool of me.

I also had a very violent mother and cannot remember a lot of my childhood. Ive only come to realise what hapened to me after therapy and finding out that my sister also suffered at her hands.

I usually wake up with a panic attack and find it impossible to get back to sleep hence i was put on buspirone. Which hasnt really helped

Erme

Erme

Founding Member
I so need to get a handle on my dreams. Practically every night at the moment I have a bad dream/nightmare. Sometimes I wake up in them, often not. But I know when I've had a bad dream because I'm scared to go to bed the next night and get delusional at bed time.

What are mine about? Anything and everything with a sinister undertone. Like last night's bad dream was about being with Ma in Cambridge or something and needing to go back to Boston on the train to find something in a shop. The shop wasn't there and then I met her friend and said we could go to Cambridge et al on my bus pass but I was carrying so much stuff I missed the bus 3x and it was one an hour. When I did get on it I then missed my connections (that were out in the middle of nowhere). I then woke up. I didn't get to my destination despite my desires to.

So you can see how a perfectly innocent dream I can find horrid and terrifying.

connect

connect

Admin
There's an interesting paper on the topic of dreams here:

http://www.bbsonline.org/Preprints/OldArchive/bbs.revonsuo.html

The author, Antti Revonsuo (2000), proposes that dream consciousness is a mechanism for simulating threat perception and rehearsing threat avoidance responses and behaviors. He cites studies which show that people report negative dream content such as anxiety, fear, panic and apprehension much more frequently than positive dream content. One of the functions of dreams appears to be to sort of "digest" traumatic experiences:

"Gradually, the nightmares change into increasingly modified versions of the event. At this stage, the original experience is associated with and connected to other similar contents in memory. The resulting dreams may be small variations of the original threat, the original threat mixed with previously experienced ones, and with classical nightmare themes such as being chased or escaping powerful natural forces. Eventually, perhaps after a few weeks or months, the content of dreams returns to approximately normal. Even long after the original trauma, events that remind of it or also induce a deep sense of threat may trigger the recurrence of the trauma-related nightmares."

The article summarizes a lot of the current theories about dreaming and is well worth a read :)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Well i had the weirdest of dreams last night. I wasnt asleep for long but it seemed to go on for ages.

I dreamt i was on a cruise with my ex (who treated me badly) He kept on ignring me. (nothing new there) But i kept on losing my cabin and whenever we docked anywhere the weather was dreadful, Gale force winds etc. In between each docking i came back to my house cos i had only my jeans and a jumper with me so i had to change as everyone else on the ship was dressed correctly. (This prob has to do with my lack of confidence)

Now it gets really odd.:D I saw the milkman and went to buy a pint of milk and he started backcombing my hair and styling it in the street. Then we realised that the boat had left without us cos id comeback to my house and no matter how many phone calls i made they would not let us get back on the boat.

Some of it is pretty obvious i know

Oh and the boat was docked at the railway station:LOL: Well where else would it be??

D

Dollit

Sometimes dreams are just the brains way of emptying your head of all the rubbish it doesn't need because if we remembered everything we would never be able to switch off. Your dreams about losing the car etc are typical anxiety dreams. I haven't drunk for nearly 17 years but I still dream about drinking. Whatever's on your mind will out in one way or another. I talk in my sleep at times and once picked up my ex-husband by the chest hair (I wish I'd been awake to see that pain!). I know if I'm dealing with things well in my life then I'm much less likely to dream (or rather remember them). :tea:

Rambuie Perspecador

Rambuie Perspecador

Founding Member
I understand that the experience and impact of remembered dreams - or dreams that woke you up, are mainly to do with precipitate Waking up - that we all have these dreams but they do not impact on us because of the timing of when we wake up. If you find it possible to wake up 'naturally' - i.e. in your own time and as morning breaks or from naturally drifting out of sleep, then the chances are that you will remember nothing about the night's brain-activity. In your experience that might be a marked improvement in stress-levels as a result of removing the source of stress, awareness of your vivid dreams. I hope that is helpful. it may restore some balance if you can maybe not need to use an alarm clock - if you do use an alarm - or just use it when it is imperative. :unsure:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The trouble i have is that even in a good period i wake several times a night. Tho i tend to go back to sleep i may be awake again in an hour. When im bad tho i sleep for only 2 hours a night. My psych knows about this and says i must keep to a regime of getting up at a set time and not dozing during the day (something i rarely do). So even if i dont go to bed till 6am my alarm still goes off at 8. The only time i dont get up is when im low and then it may be 4pm b4 i rise.

D

Dollit

Daft question Daffy, but has someone ever talked about 'sleep hygiene'?

D

Dollit

Sleep hygiene is following a pattern of events that can lead to sleep. This link to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_hygiene gives a simple and straightforward explanation (much better than my rambling). You have to be quite rigid about things but I found that when my back was against the wall it worked. Also I was told (not sure if it's in this article or not) that if sleep didn't come within 30 minutes to get up, have a warm drink and read a book but not use the internet or watch tv as that is too stimulating.). I find that if I quite literally slow down towards bedtime I sleep better. My sleep is quite light but much improved. Sometimes though I just can't keep awake in the afternoons and have to crash out. :hug: