• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dramatic thoughts

V

Vegay

Does anyone else, this is probably the wrong word, but like "fantasise" about things that are a bit "out there?"

For example, considering causing harm to yourself, picturing how you could cause distress to someone who has hurt you, re-imagining past events or conversations etc.

Or am I just madder than I thought?

Zaz

Zaz

I experience that quite a bit especially late at night. I think it's just the mind trying to deal with all the thoughts flying around. It needs to put them in some kind of order to clear up the confusion to allow you space to breathe. I've imagined getting revenge on people who have hurt me, robbing banks, having a terminal illness etc. I don't know where these thoughts arise from because it's not things that I would ever want to happen in real life. Maybe it's just the mind deflecting you away from the genuine worries and problems you have.

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

Sounds like a normal day to me. I don't sleep much, so i end up having a lot of time (especially in the evenings and at night) when those kinds of things become more invasive. Sometimes it's benign, others it's very unwelcome.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Does anyone else, this is probably the wrong word, but like "fantasise" about things that are a bit "out there?"

For example, considering causing harm to yourself, picturing how you could cause distress to someone who has hurt you, re-imagining past events or conversations etc.

Or am I just madder than I thought?
Believe it or not its more "normal" than youd think xx

V

Vegay

Thank you for all of your responses. I'm sorry that some of you experience the same sort of thing.
I notice that it is a frequent occurrence and nothing I do seems to change it.

Zaz

Zaz

I think all we can do is keep going and hopefully find ways to help us cope better 🙂

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Thank you for all of your responses. I'm sorry that some of you experience the same sort of thing.
I notice that it is a frequent occurrence and nothing I do seems to change it.
You will hopfully learn to manage things. There is no silver bullet that will cure you or any of us. Managing the symptoms is the best we can get unfortunately.

V

Vegay

I guess you are both right.
I've been given a couple of sheets of paperwork about managing emotions and thoughts are but finding it hard.
I think most of us have probably felt thus way for so long that it is difficult to make much of a change.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I guess you are both right.
I've been given a couple of sheets of paperwork about managing emotions and thoughts are but finding it hard.
I think most of us have probably felt thus way for so long that it is difficult to make much of a change.
If you can learn to mange things you can have a fairly normal life so dont be dispondant. Mental health ilness is not rhe end of the world xxx

Delilah67

Delilah67

I’ve done this since I was a child, I call them negative daydreams. I guess it’s fantasising that people care about me, or if I could go back and do things differently, what I would say and do ( or not do!)

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

I’ve done this since I was a child, I call them negative daydreams. I guess it’s fantasising that people care about me, or if I could go back and do things differently, what I would say and do ( or not do!)
This is something that's a common occurrence with me when i think about that kind of thing (such as wishing someone cared, or going back and changing things). Doesn't help that my mind doesn't want to stop running 1000 miles a minute and that i dont really sleep.

I at least am not a point where i don't recognize the truth of things, such as there's no going back and getting a mulligan on past events and so on. The thoughts themselves can be distracting at times, but on the other hand, looking back and seeing how things could have been better provides (for me at least, though not very often) a small amount of comfort.