• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Drained after every visit...

C

Charity

Hi; this is my first post here. I've read a lot of the threads, and now I have one of my own...
I see a psychologist for an hour every Monday morning. I only started doing this recently-- I guess it's been a month or so now. I work full time, and fortunately the psychologist is in the same building as my own office, so I literally just run upstairs for an hour. I find it really hard, though, to come back to "normal" afterwards. I'm supposed to just walk out of his office, head back downstairs to my own area, and go back to whatever I was doing before... but I can't ever seem to do that very well. I feel totally drained after an hour of talking about such serious business, and a little out-of-kilter with reality. I can't just "snap back" on command.
Does anyone else feel this way? I'm almost starting to think that I'm going to have to arrange things differently, just to make it easier on myself. I'm still not entirely used to talking things out in this way, either. I've been taking various SSRI's and benzodiazepines for years, but always resisted the idea of talk therapy for some reason. Now I'm finally doing what I need to do, but it's no easy task!! Today I went to lunch immediately after leaving my appointment-- and that's where I am now, home alone for a little bit before I have to go back. I needed a moment!
Any comments?

T

Twylight

Hello Charity and welcome

I've never seen a psychologist, but I do see a psychiatrist.

It is stressfull

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I feel the same after therapy appointments they take a lot out of you and you
need some quiet time and space for yourself afterwards.
KP

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I feel the same too - I find it quite draining, and I do try to build in some down-time after. But I try to see it as a positive, that it means I am actually starting to face some things and finding ways to handle it. I attended a group recently and had to go straight to work after, and I found it meant I didn't let my guard down as I might otherwise have done - so ultimately not that useful.

I hope you can find a way to make it a bit easier on yourself.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I started seeing a psychiatrist and therepist about 6 months ago and really for the first 4/5 months I would have to have a sleep for few hours to vaguley feel better. They ae incredibly itense and you need to look after yourself. could you arrange your appointments before you leave the office??

C

cinderella

I find it draining, because talking about the issues can be difficult, and also there is always so much going on in my head, even more so after a session with my therapist. On the other hand, I generally feel better for it, especially after a nap.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I find the therapy sessions very useful and yes they are intense. When I see the psychiatrist there is no continuity and to be honest I don't find them particularly helpful. I think as well I find it more difficult to accept that I have to see one as to me this confirms that I am ill mad or whatever. The therapist sees me as me and doesn't worry about diagnoses. I don't have the same confidence in the psychiatrist though I do appreciate seeing the same one more than once if I'm lucky. If I can get discharged the next time I go I'll see that as an achievement.

D

Dollit

Can you not add on an extra half hour and go and sit somewhere quiet and gather your thoughts? The last psychologist I saw and the consultant I see now both make space available for those who need time to come back to some sort of normality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Talking Therapies 6