• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Downward Spiral- Wasting Time?

D

Darkwave

I have bipolar disorder and chronic migraines so I miss a lot of college.

Last year I was undiagnosed and didnt yet the grades I needed for uni. I got better in Jan and am now OK again grade wise providing I do well in the June exams.

I have never needed to study until now (A Level), but I am currently 'low' and every time I think about studying I panic. I didnt study so early in Jan, but my teachers are pushing us harder now to stay on top all year round and I want to do better.

I have things to distract myself from my depression (ie xbox, painting) but I feel like I am wasting time. As I am 'low' I cannot see what I am working towards anyway or what I want to do so I end up doing nothing.

I cant work and I cant stop thinking about working. It seems like a giant impossible mountain of work, although we haven't been set anything - just to study

Any suggestions? Im going round in a circle and doing nothing.

angrydad

angrydad

Hey Darkwave, a thing that works for me is to do things in small amounts. I set myself a task of doing a certain peice of work. I then break it down into half hour chunks. I do twenty minutes work and then ten minutes having a rest (cup of tea etc) I then do another twent minutes and so on until the piece of work is done. I then give myself a BIG reward, like going to the SPAR for a treat or watching a DVD.

If you look at what you have to do as a whole you be overfaced by it and the work will paralise you into inaction. Break a task down and do it in small, manageable chunks with small rewards during the task and a big one at the end.

I've said it before on the forum but it bears repeating - small victories build confidence and lots of small victories equal one big achievement.

Good luck with your course

Hope this helps

emski

emski

What a brilliant post angrydad. That really helps me too, as I am currently struggling with my studies in a very similar way to darkwave and have never found study this challenging before. Now it's like I can't process or digest in depth information - I'm not too bad at the writing but its making reading anything more than a few short paragraphs almost impossible even if I am ordinarily very interested in the content.

Thanks 'dad! :D

angrydad

angrydad

This freely imparted knowledge was gained through five attempts to get a degree and is passed on so that others don't have to mess up like I have (so many times)

My best wishes to you all

emski

emski

That's really humbling angrydad. Admirable too that you had the strength and resilience to persevere :)