• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Downs more often than Ups, Question

Wishbone

Wishbone

Mood changes within one day would be rapid cycling so medications need to be more in line with this as typical meds to lift you up, as would normally be the case for BPII, would likely only exacerbate this speed of mood shift. Speak to your doc about how quickly things are changing for you.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Maybe you or someone can answer this, but can sleep not take much of a hit when hypo? I very rarely go through periods where I don't need as much sleep. My sleep gets more disturbed at times, though.
As I understand it, it can be reduced or disturbed sleep but in an episode you're very likely to feel like you only need about 4hrs for example, as opposed to what you may get because you haven't slept well. Sleep is heavily tied with the body clock and mood so usually when one goes other things go with it.

Amazingly

Amazingly

With bipolar, depression is more common than the highs of mania.
I am diagnosed with bipolar 1 and I experience more lows than highs.

B

BlueWater

Some people do bounce between high and low, and quite quickly, but these are the rarer types - some of the rapid cyclers.
Most of us should have normal periods in between episodes somewhere along the line. For example, this year I've gone from depressed, Hypo, normal, depressed, normal. A hypo should not feel like it's a normal you in that at least afterwards you'll know what it was and be able to see what it was, and you should see things like sleep taking a hit at the time too.
It's not always going to be the same. We don't have set patterns here, things can upset the balance at any time and cause something to happen one way or the other.
The awkward ones to get your head around are the mixed states (the irritable but restless and chaotic feeling ones) as you don't really know where to put these at the time. You question "Am I up? am I down?" and you can't say for sure because you're getting bits of both. Those are the most unpleasant and at their worst are the most dangerous, but we're talking fully manic-mixed states for that.
How long can a mixed state last?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Well, technically the DSM-5 got rid of the 'mixed state' term and replaced it with 'mixed features', meaning you could be manic and have features of depression or the other way around. In this way it's a case of 'how long is a piece of string?' as any given episode is as long as it lasts until it either dissipates on its own or gets treated, but they look for minimum durations for many of these episodes (Hypomania for at least four days etc). Mixed was at least seven days last time I saw.

F

Frankum35

Well, technically the DSM-5 got rid of the 'mixed state' term and replaced it with 'mixed features', meaning you could be manic and have features of depression or the other way around. In this way it's a case of 'how long is a piece of string?' as any given episode is as long as it lasts until it either dissipates on its own or gets treated, but they look for minimum durations for many of these episodes (Hypomania for at least four days etc). Mixed was at least seven days last time I saw.
Ok so let's say we are medicated. Are we still cycling between states but less often ?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Theoretically yes, but personally I'd say it's more to do with what's going on in your life and how much stress there is as well.
But let's say you get the mixed features (MF) but are medicated for Bipolar II with depressive episodes being much more prominant. Some meds are better for dealing with depression but aren't as good at dealing with hypomania or mania or MF or rapid cycling. There is no single magic pill for Bipolar because if there was we'd all be well. But because we differ we need different medications and sometimes combinations to deal with what we present with. So yes, we're still cycling until we get the meds right and even then things can happen that can upset the balance, even if only in the short-term. But once you find the meds that work for what you have you can feel it, I feel sure about that. Whether they still work through severe stress or traumatic incidents etc I don't know yet, I've mostly been unchallenged on that front myself since I've been on my medication combination.

F

Frankum35

Theoretically yes, but personally I'd say it's more to do with what's going on in your life and how much stress there is as well.
But let's say you get the mixed features (MF) but are medicated for Bipolar II with depressive episodes being much more prominant. Some meds are better for dealing with depression but aren't as good at dealing with hypomania or mania or MF or rapid cycling. There is no single magic pill for Bipolar because if there was we'd all be well. But because we differ we need different medications and sometimes combinations to deal with what we present with. So yes, we're still cycling until we get the meds right and even then things can happen that can upset the balance, even if only in the short-term. But once you find the meds that work for what you have you can feel it, I feel sure about that. Whether they still work through severe stress or traumatic incidents etc I don't know yet, I've mostly been unchallenged on that front myself since I've been on my medication combination.
Thank you. My med formula needs a bit of work.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Indeed. If you've been diagnosed with BPII then I assume you're on something like Lamotrigine (Lamictal)? Which is the kind of thing that works to lift you up and many here will attest to its effectiveness. But if you actually have something going on a little higher up the scale, or if there's mixed stuff going on etc then you may be getting brought up into that territory rather than simply lifted up into a better place, do you follow me? Keep a record of your moods each day and use them as a means to better understand your moods yourself and so you can show your doc what's going on with you. There's a mood chart you can use as a guide from the Bipolar UK website:

And there's also a mood diary you can print off or again, use as a guide to help you fill in your own scores and see patterns emerging. Even a few weeks or doing this should reveal something if you're not feeling settled mood-wise. Give it a go.

F

Frankum35

Indeed. If you've been diagnosed with BPII then I assume you're on something like Lamotrigine (Lamictal)? Which is the kind of thing that works to lift you up and many here will attest to its effectiveness. But if you actually have something going on a little higher up the scale, or if there's mixed stuff going on etc then you may be getting brought up into that territory rather than simply lifted up into a better place, do you follow me? Keep a record of your moods each day and use them as a means to better understand your moods yourself and so you can show your doc what's going on with you. There's a mood chart you can use as a guide from the Bipolar UK website:

And there's also a mood diary you can print off or again, use as a guide to help you fill in your own scores and see patterns emerging. Even a few weeks or doing this should reveal something if you're not feeling settled mood-wise. Give it a go.
Lamotrigine and Lexapro have saved me, but I feel I am not fully there yet. I didn't know there were those cool tools to help track your mood. I am also tracking my moods as the doc suggested. I am very to have such a good doctor. Thanks again.

F

Frankum35

As per this chart I would say i bounce slowly between 2 and barely 1 and then slowly climb to 7 borderline 8...then sudden 2 ish borderline 1. And repeat. Not fast cycling but over days. This chart is so cool.

G

Gratefultobewell

Hello everyone, I came across this forum in google and I think is cool. I joined immediately.

I recently got diagnosed with bipolar type 2 and experience more downs than "ups". I always take my meds and they help. I don't recognize the hypomanic state very well although I am sure I had a few episodes. For the most part I feel stable, not happy, not sad; just stable.

Do you guys experience similar symptoms? Perhaps you spend more time in the hypomanic state then back to "normal" or same as me.

I am still struggling to deal with this horrible disease and I am trying to cope with it.
Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.
Yes! I have no manic (hypomania) episodes on medication, but still struggle with depression. I don’t go that low, but sometimes it’s like walking through sludge.