• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Double Fluoxetine

ParxSP

ParxSP

Hi, a few weeks ago I had a chat with my GP as I was really struggling... with everything! He suggested I take 2 x 20mg Fluoxetine instead of 1 but ever since then I've gone down hill rapidly. I spoke to another GP on Friday through floods of tears and she suggested taking 3 tablets if 2 weren't working. I told her I wasn't happy with that so we agreed i should stick to 2 for now. Has anyone else had problems when their dose has been upped and if so how did you solve it? I can't go on like this as very weepy and argumentative. Thanks

wollie

wollie

Hi Parx
When I was on Fluoxetine it did nothing for me so the doc tried another med then another etc ect, I eventuly ended up taking latuda which is working well with me, I would advise you to go back to your pdoc and ask for a med review.

ParxSP

ParxSP

Thanks Wollie, I have been on it for over a year. I'm sure most of this is Covid/ being made redundant based. Having spoken to others who have had the same problem I'm going to give it another couple of weeks... the GP asked me to phone back in 2-3 weeks anyway.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

im so sorry the increased medication is making you worse ,i tried fluoxitine and it didn't help and was switched to fluvoxamine which i think is very similar ,im hoping the increase will eventually help or that you can switch to another
please let us know how you get on with the GP x love Lu x

ParxSP

ParxSP

im so sorry the increased medication is making you worse ,i tried fluoxitine and it didn't help and was switched to fluvoxamine which i think is very similar ,im hoping the increase will eventually help or that you can switch to another
please let us know how you get on with the GP x love Lu x
It's so annoying cos, until last month, all was well then it was like I got hit by a brick wall. I'll let you know if course, and thank you for replying x

I

Ian Haines

Ask your doctor to take you off the SSRI type antidepressants...they cause increased nervous energy that is usually associated with amplified attention. They are supposed to do this in order to make your mind, eventually, notice things outside you and keep on doing that...and, notice less inside you.

For those taking the SSRI antidepressants (who were not even told that by their doctor, about that) should take special note of it. Some already have high anxiety levels mixed in with their depression - those people certainly need no more mental energy available and should not be on SSRI antidepressants. I'm on amitriptyline and I wouldn't want to dare to be a doctor who wanted to take me off those, because they have a tranquillising side-effect that is far gentler than actual tranquillisers.

It's possible that, learning from their mistakes, the SSRI antidepressant producers have started to even maybe ADD a mild tranquilliser side-effect, or joint-effect to them...I really don't know.

M

Marianda

Hi, a few weeks ago I had a chat with my GP as I was really struggling... with everything! He suggested I take 2 x 20mg Fluoxetine instead of 1 but ever since then I've gone down hill rapidly. I spoke to another GP on Friday through floods of tears and she suggested taking 3 tablets if 2 weren't working. I told her I wasn't happy with that so we agreed i should stick to 2 for now. Has anyone else had problems when their dose has been upped and if so how did you solve it? I can't go on like this as very weepy and argumentative. Thanks
I used to take citalopram 10mg and the doctor prescribed 20mg. I felt great but I was to "passive" I need to do lots of things to "fix" my life and I was not doing anything. I was sort of"floating in a bubble". Now I take 10 mg and the next day 20mg and then I go back to 10mg and so on. A little bit of anxiety is good for me. Otherwise I dont do anything.

I

Ian Haines

I used to take citalopram 10mg and the doctor prescribed 20mg. I felt great but I was to "passive" I need to do lots of things to "fix" my life and I was not doing anything. I was sort of"floating in a bubble". Now I take 10 mg and the next day 20mg and then I go back to 10mg and so on. A little bit of anxiety is good for me. Otherwise I dont do anything.
That's the idea behind the SSRIs, as I said...to some, it's a nightmare - to others, it's a spur to action and starting up new interest in older pastimes, or significant interest in new pastimes. For many, that's how it works.

ParxSP

ParxSP

I did ask if I could do that as it would average out at 30mg.... they don't do a 10mg.... but the GP says it won't work like that. I'm not so sure.

P

Purpleplum

If double is making you worse, please tell them. Ask if you could try something else. For instance maybe he/she could add an anti-anxiety or a mood stabilizer to your dose of 20 mg. instead of upping it.
Very often you have to suggest things to them yourself. Don't be afraid to speak up.

ParxSP

ParxSP

If double is making you worse, please tell them. Ask if you could try something else. For instance maybe he/she could add an anti-anxiety or a mood stabilizer to your dose of 20 mg. instead of upping it.
Very often you have to suggest things to them yourself. Don't be afraid to speak up.
Purpleplum thank you. It's just making me scared as I haven't felt like this for a very long time.

B

Bridget2020

Hi, I feel the same. I'm only on 20mg though. I was on it before and worked well. However, I took myself off it in Summer, as I thought I was fine. But about 3 weeks ago, had a monumental meltdown, whatever you want to call it, and decided to go back on it. Though, 3 weeks in, I'm feeling so numb and pointless. I've been signed off work for a month, which in itself panics me (guilt feelings). I feel completely apathetic towards everyone and everything in my life now. Just want to get back to being me again. Sorry to hear you're feeling so bad! X

Bellaone

Bellaone

Hi
It took a good few months to make a difference to me. Up to six I think. I would of been happy to go up to 60mg if need be, but have been advised to stay at 40mg
I would definitely speak with gp if you’re still feeling so bad.

ParxSP

ParxSP

Hi, I feel the same. I'm only on 20mg though. I was on it before and worked well. However, I took myself off it in Summer, as I thought I was fine. But about 3 weeks ago, had a monumental meltdown, whatever you want to call it, and decided to go back on it. Though, 3 weeks in, I'm feeling so numb and pointless. I've been signed off work for a month, which in itself panics me (guilt feelings). I feel completely apathetic towards everyone and everything in my life now. Just want to get back to being me again. Sorry to hear you're feeling so bad! X
I've had a row with my daughter and it's not really bothering me where it would usually. I'm so argumentative and have also realised I'm not that important to people as haven't heard from my kids or anyone else that knows about my problems... and that hurts. Take care x

ParxSP

ParxSP

So, one week on from my meltdown and a roller coaster of a week I got up this morning and did some exercise.... and it felt good. I'm cautiously optimistic but not going to swing from any chandeliers yet!!! 😅😅 I'm hoping I can now build on this but will keep you updated as it might help others in the same situation. I'm sticking with the 40mgs for now and will give it another week before I call the GP. Thank you all for your support and advice, I appreciate it a lot x

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Depression Forum 8
H Depression Forum 4
AEWDude Depression Forum 3