• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Dosing

Wishbone

Wishbone

How/when do you take your meds and are you sensitive to any changes?
I've always taken them in an even split, for example, 500mg morning and 500mg afternoon but recently changed to a larger dose in the afternoon than the morning as I was struggling a bit with tiredness in the day. This change, I think, could have brought about a negative change in mood. I've now gone back to how I was before and so far feel better. Obviously some should be taken once a day and some should be morning or night etc. Anything like this? strict regimes? changes etc? Sensitivity to such things?
On the face of it it makes more sense for it to be an even split as it's more balanced. Thoughts welcome.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I find it impossible to find the perfect balance in terms of dose and when i take it. I can find a balance which is manageable but still very hard.

Also, my mood can change due to stress and seasons regardless of medication so there is a lot going on anyway.

I take mine all at night because it is a lower dose. If i want to take every 12 hours (which would make me feel better) i would have to take the higher dose. This brings more side effects though, so i choose to take the lower amount, which is not as effective.

I like to know it is still there, the illness, i like the reminder of the reason why things are as they are. I don't think i would want it completely gone.

Kotter

Kotter

i started taking more at night to help me sleep.
i take doses twice a day.

K

keith74

How/when do you take your meds and are you sensitive to any changes?
I've always taken them in an even split, for example, 500mg morning and 500mg afternoon but recently changed to a larger dose in the afternoon than the morning as I was struggling a bit with tiredness in the day. This change, I think, could have brought about a negative change in mood. I've now gone back to how I was before and so far feel better. Obviously some should be taken once a day and some should be morning or night etc. Anything like this? strict regimes? changes etc? Sensitivity to such things?
On the face of it it makes more sense for it to be an even split as it's more balanced. Thoughts welcome.
You are referring to depakote, correct? My wife used to take all her meds in the evening (750mg depakote, 300mg quetiapine) but recently started to split the depakote to 250mg in the morning and 500mg in the evening since she has read that most people tend to split depakote doses. Her psychiatrist said that her daily dose is relatively low so it doesn't really matter how she takes her dose. In any case, she has not noticed any difference at all in regards to mood or side effects.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Any meds really. My own psychiatrist suggested the change in dosage, and it may just have been coincidental timing, but it seemed to coincide with a lull. I wondered if others were consistent splitters or otherwise etc.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I checked out the half-life figures and Depakote is pretty low (9-16 hrs) so maybe that has played a part with a low dose as come time for my second dose that first one maybe was dropping quite low in my system, although I have been having them about 9hrs apart in the day :scratcheshead:
I wouldn't have thought it would be a sudden hit though so maybe it was this or maybe it was just coincidence. I don't know.

Amazingly

Amazingly

I take my psych meds in divided doses as I am very sensitive to meds in general.
I used to take 1000mg of Depakote, I would take 500mg AM and 500mg PM.
I currently take 5mg of Risperdal, I take a 2mg tablet in the AM and 1mg in the late afternoon and 2mg in the evening.
I’m better off taking my meds in divided doses.

S

SFGuy

Hey, Wishbone.

I'm like you: sensitive to scheduling. I take the ER version of Depakote all at night. It seems to be working well since I haven't seen symptoms popping up late in the day or in the evening.

I'm always adjusting Dexedrine. I take the maximum dose I can tolerate without jitters. That's only 20mg/day. Scheduling depends on how I'm doing emotionally and cognitively. I need more in the morning right now and less in the afternoon. It changes all the time.