Dose each psychosis you have damage your brain?

N

nightmare57

In my CPA meeting with my psychiatrist I told him I felt like I'm less intelligent then when I was younger, also having some problems with social anxiety and dissociation. He said every time a person has psychosis it damages the brain, he said it isn't the meds. Do you think psychosis damages your brain?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

No it does not. But I do think it helps to keep things simple, but you can still be intelligent.

L

linus

During the episode and during the recovery cognitive processes are affected, but you can regain your “status” after that.

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

In my CPA meeting with my psychiatrist I told him I felt like I'm less intelligent then when I was younger, also having some problems with social anxiety and dissociation. He said every time a person has psychosis it damages the brain, he said it isn't the meds. Do you think psychosis damages your brain?
I don't believe that for one minute. What a strange thing for him to say.....

P

Prince Charming

@nightmare57 Hi perhaps what he said was it affects the brain Can you remember what context he used it in.The only drug l know damages your brain permantly is L S D never take it.You will have to sort it on your next visit to your pdoc

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I've read that each episode of psychosis damages the brain, and that using antipsychotic medication causes parts of your brain to shrink. So I don't know how they can tell which does which. I figured we must be screwed either way.

J

jonnyc55

Medication generally simplifies your thought processes or emotional response. You could still will complex actions and get the results you want but meds would effect how you feel about the whole process which with meds is often a dampening effect.

Off meds you would come back to your normal/former 'coloration' (color palette) of your actions and mental world.

I think the meds dampen emotional responses. I suppose the emotion of fear is what the psychiatrists want to calm down.

Hopefuloldie

Hopefuloldie

Whats strange about it?
I think it's strange because I don't see how a psychotic episode can physically damage your brain. Hallucinations, delusions, paranoia....ultimately, they are all just forms of thoughts - and thoughts don't do physical damage. I can believe that the meds can, but that's different.