• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Dopamine Hypothesis

kurtcobain

kurtcobain

Hi there, I read somewhere that schizophrenia (auditory hallucinations) is partly attributed to levels of Dopamine in the brain, I don't know if it's a lack of dopamine or an excess.Does Olanzapine work on the Dopamine system as well as the Serotonin system to ease depression? I would be greatfull if someone could clarify, as I hear voices telling me to do bad things, one of them says "Kill Yourself", is this a common experience? I also have terrible mood swings. Thanks for any help.

schiz01

schiz01

There are many theories but the real answer is no one really knows.Anti psychotics affect the whole brain not just one particular area as claimed by pharmaceutical companies.
That said your voices you hear telling you to kill yourself is a common among many schizophrenics and some say they do find taking anti psychotics useful in blocking them out.
For me personally and for many others they don't work and you end up a drugged up zombie that can hardly walk or talk but still hearing voices

Last edited:
kurtcobain

kurtcobain

Dopamine, Schizophrenia & Bipolar.

Thanks for your reply schizo1, although I have never been treated for Schizophrenia with perhaps an anti-psychotic, I am being treated for depression, but I know anti-depressants only target one brain chemical, namely serotonin.I have never been diagnosed with Schizophrenia, but I have always suspected I have symptoms of it.I found it interesting when you said hearing a voice saying "Kill yourself" is common amongst people with Schizophrenia.What's evident to me is how so many of the symptoms of each specific disorder can OVERLAP each other, so it can be difficult to pin down a specific diagnosis for someone who is "mentally ill".I asked my doctor if I would benefit from Olanzapine, but he didn't reply.I assume he thinks i'm on enough meds already, but i'm willing to trade one for another.Anyway, I hope you are OK.Keep in touch!

schiz01

schiz01

Interesting
As with anti psychotics the same thing applies to anti depressants .They affect the the whole brain and could even be the reason for your distress.They affect everyone differently and it is a matter of trial and error.
I would encourage you to research the negative affects some of these drugs can have on people.Speak to your doc about it,get a second opinion.
There is a lot of controversy and different opinions on how and why these drugs work/don't work.
The more you educate yourself on these matters the more informed you will be and that means you will be able to make better decisions.No one knows you better then your self ...don't let some quack tell you any different

Good luck in your search and don't give up hope