• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Don't you hate seeing people flaunting their happiness?

• Thread starter MeAndMyDepression
  • Start date
MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I hate seeing pictures of people who are enjoying themselves to no end, surrounded by friends, and everyone is smiling from ear to ear? They always seem to have perfect, pearly white teeth. I feel like scratching their eyeballs out.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Former member
Some folk need to be happy to balance out the earth chakra karma vibe.

Jolly

Jolly

Or they may not be as they are good at hiding what they are really feeling. I do that when I see other people which is not very often. A friend came round last week and said have you been crying as my eyes were still swollen from Sunday. I said no I had a migraine and lied through my back teeth what I was actually feeling. I do believe some people are genuinely happy though.

Empish

Empish

I hate seeing pictures of people who are enjoying themselves to no end, surrounded by friends, and everyone is smiling from ear to ear? They always seem to have perfect, pearly white teeth. I feel like scratching their eyeballs out.
They don't feel like that all of the time. The photos only catch a glimpse of a fraction of there day/week/month and they usually only show the best photos out of a big batch of not so 'everything is perfect and wonderful' photos. Then there's playing up for the camera to add to the equation...

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Former member
I doubt there are many folks these days who live lives of continual joy and glee. Everybody I know is struggling and I know folks from one end of the income scale to the other. Many people are unhappy because they lack of sense of being and purpose and that's not something easily remedied.

This is just my experience and you can take it for what it's worth, but I think real joy is a very rare commodity for most folks. We live lives of continual challenges and most folks put the 'bar' so high for themselves that they are continually disappointed. And by putting the bar up there I mean setting standards for themselves in ALL aspects of their lives, many, MANY of us feel we're coming up short.

The happy family we see in commercial videos or pics is a myth, it's an abstraction. If you feel good about yourself a handful of times a day you're doing as good as many and far better than most. Sadness, disappointment and discouragement are common feelings for most of us, I'm afraid.

I've come to a conclusion the last couple of years that 'Happy Endings' are almost non-existent. We struggle all our lives, endure tons of disappointment and hurt and then one day we're laying in that hospital bed experiencing our last few hours and wondering what it was all about. If you experienced a few happy events along the way bank them and cherish them-for most of us that's as good as it gets. Hopefully there is another realm beyond this where the meaning is all revealed to us and we balance out on the disappointments in this realm, I'm really hoping for that.

B

Blues47

I haven't logged onto facebook in over a year, I have no idea what people are doing.

S

Shelby1

Former member
This is why getting off fb, IG, twitter and all that is better. It's not that I don't wish other people to be happy, but it's all so fake. When you're having a bad day and get on there, it makes you feel bad. It's better to pay attention to what's right in front of you. I also don't watch tv anymore.

Phillmitchell86

Phillmitchell86

That ain’t real ! Everyone these days on social media regardless of age seem to be obsessed with showing others from past lives of how well they’re doing or what they have. It’s all lies

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Former member
This is why getting off fb, IG, twitter and all that is better. It's not that I don't wish other people to be happy, but it's all so fake. When you're having a bad day and get on there, it makes you feel bad. It's better to pay attention to what's right in front of you. I also don't watch tv anymore.

With all the channels available on cable/satellite TV it's amazing how much garbage they have. I watch documentaries, old movies and old TV series from the 1960's/1970's. The only 'new' shows I watch are old episodes of 'Monk' (2002-2009) and 'Xena-Warrior Princess' (1995-2001). I never watch prime time television and couldn't tell you anything about current programming-other than people say it's just a bunch of Reality show garbage.

More and more, unless there is something specific I want to watch I just turn it off and enjoy the peace and quiet. It's nice to have quiet in the home and it allows you to think about things. TV is a vast wasteland of garbage programming for the most part, it's sunk down to the lowest common denominator.

Phillmitchell86

Phillmitchell86

With all the channels available on cable/satellite TV it's amazing how much garbage they have. I watch documentaries, old movies and old TV series from the 1960's/1970's. The only 'new' shows I watch are old episodes of 'Monk' (2002-2009) and 'Xena-Warrior Princess' (1995-2001). I never watch prime time television and couldn't tell you anything about current programming-other than people say it's just a bunch of Reality show garbage.

More and more, unless there is something specific I want to watch I just turn it off and enjoy the peace and quiet. It's nice to have quiet in the home and it allows you to think about things. TV is a vast wasteland of garbage programming for the most part, it's sunk down to the lowest common denominator.
But when it’s quiet how do you just enjoy the silence ? How do you like mute everything

S

Shelby1

Former member

Everyone complains about social media, but Hollywood is just as bad. I stopped watching because it gives you unrealistic expectations of beauty, love, and status. It's not good for people. Without it, you have to decide on your own what those things mean. People want to look to Hollywood, and that's why people are sad down and depressed. It makes you want things you can't have.

S

Shelby1

Former member
But when it’s quiet how do you just enjoy the silence ? How do you like mute everything
Easy, get on here and help people, and make them feel better, vent, release or do things around the house. There's always plenty to do.