• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Don't want to be on benefits. What can I do?

M

milly

I have always been shy and anxious in social situations. To top it off my moods have been all over the place lately. I saw my recent diagnosis. Schizoaffective disorder, mixed type. The psychosis has not bothered me in almost five years since onset. But lately the moods have been extremely exhausting to deal with. I never know how i'm going to be feeling each day it is extremely frustrating. One day I love my job everythings great and the next I want to quit! Like today. I don't want to go to work tomorrow. But tomorrow I may be fine. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. My job is not supposed to be stressful at all but the social side of it stresses me to no end. While i am 29 and live with parents they always encourage me not to quit and stay in work but i don't know how much longer i can bear it.. please help!!

M

milly

Oh dear. I don't think I made it clear. I was wondering if there is other support out there. If I quit would be there be social activities i could attend or something. As much as those situations make me anxious i need to be around people or i will lock myself out forever that is how i feel.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Oh dear. I don't think I made it clear. I was wondering if there is other support out there. If I quit would be there be social activities i could attend or something. As much as those situations make me anxious i need to be around people or i will lock myself out forever that is how i feel.
There is other support out there yes. Various things.

V

vimes

Sounds like you are tired and confused and really need a break where you would still be encouraged to be active.
Is there any chance that you could take time of your work with help from your pdoc and perhaps get in contact with local support groups to gain strength and confidence?
Perhaps you can discuss with your parents and pdoc?

C

Christobel

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you on benefits? Do you want to come off benefits as you title suggests?

I

iamfunky

She is asking about leaving her job as she cant cope with it every day and wants to know what activities there are for people with mh issues in the week

I cant help milly, I work full time, also cant cope sometimes but have a family to support.

Do whats right for you, time out might be best?

Last edited:
Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If you can afford it, try part time instead (if you are full time that is). The loss of income might be balanced by less stress.

B

blueorange

I have always been shy and anxious in social situations. To top it off my moods have been all over the place lately. I saw my recent diagnosis. Schizoaffective disorder, mixed type. The psychosis has not bothered me in almost five years since onset. But lately the moods have been extremely exhausting to deal with. I never know how i'm going to be feeling each day it is extremely frustrating. One day I love my job everythings great and the next I want to quit! Like today. I don't want to go to work tomorrow. But tomorrow I may be fine. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. My job is not supposed to be stressful at all but the social side of it stresses me to no end. While i am 29 and live with parents they always encourage me not to quit and stay in work but i don't know how much longer i can bear it.. please help!!
I'm always like this and working for 8 years now. I accepted this as it is. It's the "normal" part of me, wanting to quit job. Sometimes, if I really don't want to go work then I took some days off.
I don't think quiting job is the best idea. Maybe in short term it will be good but in the long term, at least for me, it won't be so good.