• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dont understand

C

caseyd59

Hi, i have just joined this forum. I have recently been diagnosed with schizo affective disorder and i dont really understand what this means. Do i have schizophrenia, something similar or is it not connected. I would really appreciate any help if anyone else knows.

J

jakelong

Do you hear voices?

NeoDelta

NeoDelta

schizoaffective is where you have psychosis and a mood disorder together. you have to have psychosis outside of a depressive or manic episode as well as with a depressive or manic episode. If you have psychosis and depression your diagnosis would say schizoaffective depressive type, and if you have mania and psychosis it would be schizoaffective manic type.

hope that helps

C

caseyd59

schizoaffective is where you have psychosis and a mood disorder together. you have to have psychosis outside of a depressive or manic episode as well as with a depressive or manic episode. If you have psychosis and depression your diagnosis would say schizoaffective depressive type, and if you have mania and psychosis it would be schizoaffective manic type.

hope that helps
Thanks for the information Neo Delta. The papers that i have just say schizo affective disorder, but i am not manic i suffer from psychosis and depression, so does this mean that i do not have schizophrenia?. I like to know what i am up against and i want to learn as much as possible about my condition.

J

jakelong

I would say ignore these voices and do not concentrate on what they say. Don't be interested in them and do your best to focus on you own silent thoughts, applying them to good and healthy places.

I have posted "What has Helped Me!!!" as another thread if you want to take a look.

I

IntrospectionFtw!

Id suggest you check out the wikipedia page on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoaffective_disorder

its like bipolar mixed with schizophrenia though i think the psychotic symptoms tend to be less severe i could be wrong you should know better than me, theirs no real difference to how its treated from any other psychotic disorder in terms of medication its just SSRI's neuropletics maybe a older mood stablizer like lithium...its just a label and maddness is very diverse
so i wouldnt concern yourself too much with that and believe me its not hopeless.