• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Don't know what to do. (Rant)

M

Mac92

Hi there. I've had agoraphobia/anxiety/panic for about 5 years now. Just about a year ago I got kicked out of my house because of it (Dad thought I was being lazy.) Anyways, I've been living at my friends house ever since....
I can't leave my friends house alone or I'll just freeze up, it's really difficult to go anywhere. My doctor put me on sertraline, but it feels like that's not even working.

I came here because I'd like to talk to other people who's dealing with agoraphobia and perhaps someone who overcame it.

Thanks

B

BAGGPUSS

Hi Mac welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with mixing with other people and getting out, I always get confused with agrophobia and social phobia because they are the same thing in my book and have the same outcome..

I have been struggling with getting out and beimg around other people for a long time too and dont leave my flat without anyone with me, so I dont have a solution unfortunately.

The good news is you have somewhere to stay, you could put your name down on the emergency housing at your local council office, even though your staying at your freinds, *you can do this by the Telephone and then Post..

its better to have your name down as soon as possible incase your situation changes with your freind

Your Gp may be able to refer you for CBT Therapy in dealing with Agrophobia.

Keep safe that is number one.

take care xx:hug:

Last edited:
cherish

cherish

:flowers: Hi mac92
I am agoraphobic also , it can take a while for medication to start working but if you feel this medication really isn't helping talk to your doctor about trying something else.
I am sorry your dad is not being very understanding maybe he thinks tough love will work but he is wrong i think it would be a good idea for your dad to maybe go with you to your doctor so he can start to understand how frightening this all is for you and that you need his support right now.
PLEASE take my advice and get help now don't leave it like i did because the more you hide away from the world the scarier it becomes.:hug1:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry to hear that your Dad was unsupportive. Some people just don't understand mental health very well at all. I'm sure you'd much rather a "normal" life - it's not like you're having this anxiety because it's fun.

I'm glad that you had a friend's place to stay at, though I think taking Bagpuss' advice and contacting your local council would be wise.

How long have you been on the sertraline? It can take a while to kick in. Or it may be that other meds are more suited, or that you're more a candidate for therapy.
It's early days either way, so please don't lose faith.

M

Mac92

Thanks for all the replies! I've been on Sertraline for 2 weeks today. It hasn't helped my agoraphobia one bit, the other day I went for a walk with my friend and had another panic attack just shortly after leaving the house.
I've been looking into getting CBT, I heard it does wonders. Having Agoraphobia is driving me crazy, and I wish I did have a "normal" life. Having agoraphobia really makes me feel lazy, makes me feel worthless. Wish it was all over.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia Forum 11