• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Don't know how to proceed

F

Fletcher

Hi,

My partner suffers from depression, anxiety and borderline personality disorder. Recently she has has been ill and very low in her mood.
It is a struggle to get her to take her pills due to myself being at work and her not waking up in the morning until late (I cannot trust her to do it if I phone her from my office).

She has recently been having breakdowns and suicidal thoughts. She also does not trust local mental health team to help her.

I am seriously considering a stay in hospital for her, but we have a 18 month old son and I do not know where I stand with regards to my work and caring for him.

Any help or advice in this matter would be apprecaiated

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hi Fletcher.

If she's not taking medication then that's not going to help.
From what you noticed, do you think the start of this bad episode coincided with her stopping meds, or has she never been one to take them consistently?

I would say that if she is really unwell and at risk of doing something to harm herself, it might be that she does need some time in hospital.
If that were to happen, you could possibly get your GP to provide a sick note (to say that you're under stress) and get time off work to take care of your child whilst she's getting better.
I know that might not be an ideal scenario and there might be another way, but when i've needed care that's what my parents have done.

I presume she is under the local mental health team? Do they know what's going on?
It may be that they refer her to the local Home Treatment/Crisis Team (presuming you're in the UK).

I hope that the situation gets better soon though. It must be a big worry for you.

F

Fletcher

Sorry for the late reply it has been a hectic week.

She has not taken her meds consistently for a long time. I try to remind her whenever I can, but unless I am standing with her I can't trust her to take them. I realise this is severely hampering her recovery.

I recently spent the last week off work to look after her as she has a breakdown last week. Hopefully there will soon be an improvement.

FuzzyPeach

FuzzyPeach

It's really hard to get yourself to take medication sometimes. I used to keep stopping my anti depressant (mostly to take an overdose), because i didn't feel it was working. The thing was, i hadn't taken it long enough, but when i did and the depression went, i knew i had been a fool.

Why does she stop the medication? Have you asked her?

F

Fletcher

She either forgets, is too lazy to go take it or she doesn't feel it works. Sometimes a combination of reasons. Since 3/1/15 I have made sure she has been taking them everyday so fingers crossed this may be a turning point.