Don't get why even users of antipsychotics like to push them so much

S

seriouslydisturbed

Just don't get it. I even start thinking do these people really have schizophrenia. I fail to see the turn around these drugs give a person. I'd like to see alternative approaches, yes they won't be perfect but hey this is far from perfect. I'm sure I could have been taught to live with my condition in the earlier days, and yes I believe I could have done that even carrying my beliefs. I see people claiming "I have no side effects". If that were true for most of them would they have ended there career, would they smoke 40 cigarettes a day, would they spend lots of there time in bed.

D

daydreambeliever39

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I agree. These drugs can take 25 years off a life, and shrink your brain! They fuzz up your cognitive processing and give you other nasty side effects like tardive dyskinesia and sleepiness. Weight gain is another common one. It's a chemical lobotomy. It often takes away the psychosis but not always. I suppose if it does then a lot of people would rather have that than worry about the side effects of the drug. But when psychiatrists tell you you'll be on the drug for life and warn you that you will be sectioned if you don't take the medication I can see why some people decide to keep taking it and don't question its efficacy.

There are alternatives, I suppose CPU is the best person to talk to about that.

Also, people saying they have no side effects. Really? I think they are fooling themselves..

naominash

naominash

I like not freaking out my family with 'prophetic' stuff 24/7.

I can't go shopping in London if I'm in the hospital. Do I always want to be on them? No. But am I gonna refuse them and cause my family more stress and worry? Absolutely not.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i don't get it either.
The maddening thing is that there are & always has been genuine viable alternatives -

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/thread129808.html#post1278985

There's alternatives within every area.

But the consensus is to deny, ignore, suppress, ridicule & exclude it all. It's hard to fully fathom why it's all like that, especially with the majority of service users/people going through difficulties - But such is the way it all is, & such is the realities of this society/culture/civilisation. The whole thing is lunatic Asylum imo.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I don't know where I stand on the issue. They seem to help with some of my symptoms but they do have side effects for me. They don't cure the sickness that's for sure it just waters it down.

naominash

naominash

I don't know where I stand on the issue. They seem to help with some of my symptoms but they do have side effects for me. They don't cure the sickness that's for sure it just waters it down.
To me they're just a tool. The cure depends on my lifestyle choices. The meds are just a buffer for my mental antenna signal.

It's very "loud" without medication. As for alternatives, I will explore those later but not at this stressful point in my life.

T

Tonic

ACCOUNT CLOSED
With all medication you have to weigh up the advantages versus the disadvantages.

So it is different for everyone.

When I first became very ill I was heavily encouraged to take anti psychotics. But I didn't. I think if I had I would still be on them. But instead I recovered (to a certain degree, not completely) by finding things that works for me and also trying to "think my way out" of the problems in my head.

My aim is to live with it and learn to not get into trouble with it and learn to have friends and build myself a good life.

But I struggle with the negative symptoms. And apparently there is no cure for them. Psychotics don't affect them.

The side affects of anti psychotics sound horrible.

But I did read that according to one piece of research, the shrinkage of the brain in Schizophrenia /psychosis is not to do with medication but the psychotic episodes. Because they cause inflammation in the brain which destroys the brain and shrinks. So they said if you take antipsychotics you will have fewer psychotic episodes and so your brain will be bigger.

It's all just a theory though.

P

pansdisease

If i don't take them very bad things happen.

Things that are worse than pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBRm6avTv_o "You can heal the symptoms, but not effect the cause, it's a bit like trying to heal a gun shot wound with gauze."

The only thing worse than these pills is what happens when i don't take them.

And so bloodied, bruised, and broken i make my way to my resting place in the frozen lands. I will run about in the snow and freeze high on liqour with a bottle of ambien at the ready. With no clothes on almost i will set myself free from this place and it's awful magic.

And as my eyes close and seemingly in an instant reopen i can have my justice and watch it with glee.

You know some college boy told me we could not live again. He believes in his particular cult with fervor. But i know about interdimensional technologies, we're not dealing with the king's men to say the least. They can put us back together again.

Watch it you mindless university dwelling idiots. There are much more intelligent guys out there and you wouldn't want them to handle you the same ways you handle your forced subservients now would you? Continue the cruelty and dig i guess? Not nessecary really but okay then. Go for it i guess.

I used to think that we had time to. Very foolish. Sixty years at best usually. You close your eyes and then poof they reopen. No one has time.

If i don't take these things the torture begins again. Pills have nothing on what they can do to you, nothing. They can enter every last one of your chakras and burn you in ways you can't imagine.

Id recommend no pharmaceuticals unless you were already dead basically. Don't ever take them unless it is your last and final option.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If i don't take them very bad things happen.

Things that are worse than pills.
i don't know your circumstances or what pills you're on, & maybe you are far better off on them, but they don't appear to work very well in your own case?

What happened with colluding with the brain diseased on schizophrenia.com? Or are you still on there?

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The long-term outcomes literature for antipsychotics, which has been compiled over a period of nearly 50 years, consistently tells of drugs that increase the likelihood that a person diagnosed with schizophrenia will become chronically ill.

Antipsychotics/Schizophrenia - Mad In America

Warning!!!

Most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Kerome

Kerome

Yes, the drugs are a double edged sword. And they can decrease your lifespan, most probably if you take them for a long time but are not schizophrenic. So it's a very personal choice, I do wonder what my life would have been like if I hadn't started on them.

I reckon the reason so many do advocate taking them is because they worked for them. So they would like others to join them, thinking it will be good for them too.

F

firemonkee57

Personally I don't see people here pushing medication any more than I see people trying to persuade people to come off medication. What I do see is people relating their experiences,good.bad or mixed, about medication.
My own view based on personal experience is that severe mental illness often comes with problems that are not sufficiently dealt with by antipsychotics/psych medication in general alone. This is especially true of comorbid issues that don't fit into a diagnostic text book.
Whilst antipsychotics have dampened down some of my symptoms the reality is I am long term unemployed with no social network outside family and living independently but restrictedly. My major issue is social and antipsychotics have done little to improve that side of things . Good therapy, social skills training and a recognition of my comorbid aspergic?/non verbal learning disorder issues might have made a significant difference on that score.
The bottom line antipsychotics can help to some degree but as a stand alone treatment to bring about maximum improvement, to put it crudely, they often suck.
Of course the problem for many is that medication alone is the only thing on offer. In my case I have been told I am unsuitable for therapy though my nurse practitioner didn't mention an organisation doing CBT the appointment before last. The trouble being CBT would place everything as faulty thinking and by and large dismiss real experiences.
I think also for many being on medication is seen as a plus point re getting disability benefits ie "You claim you are severely mentally ill but you are not taking medication. Well you can't be that ill then. Claim denied"
Faced with the potential loss of benefits some/many will choose to stay on medication despite having reservations about the medication itself.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Personally I don't see people here pushing medication any more than I see people trying to persuade people to come off medication. What I do see is people relating their experiences,good.bad or mixed, about medication.
My own view based on personal experience is that severe mental illness often comes with problems that are not sufficiently dealt with by antipsychotics/psych medication in general alone. This is especially true of comorbid issues that don't fit into a diagnostic text book.
Whilst antipsychotics have dampened down some of my symptoms the reality is I am long term unemployed with no social network outside family and living independently but restrictedly. My major issue is social and antipsychotics have done little to improve that side of things . Good therapy, social skills training and a recognition of my comorbid aspergic?/non verbal learning disorder issues might have made a significant difference on that score.
The bottom line antipsychotics can help to some degree but as a stand alone treatment to bring about maximum improvement, to put it crudely, they often suck.
Of course the problem for many is that medication alone is the only thing on offer. In my case I have been told I am unsuitable for therapy though my nurse practitioner didn't mention an organisation doing CBT the appointment before last. The trouble being CBT would place everything as faulty thinking and by and large dismiss real experiences.
I think also for many being on medication is seen as a plus point re getting disability benefits ie "You claim you are severely mentally ill but you are not taking medication. Well you can't be that ill then. Claim denied"
Faced with the potential loss of benefits some/many will choose to stay on medication despite having reservations about the medication itself.
i can fully understand some of the dilemmas & circumstances people find themselves in with all these areas.

i think the emphasis should shift away from biomedical models of labels & drugs onto far more humane & genuine healing approaches - more comprehensive models of psychological/emotional & social help & support. i don't see what the block, issue, & controversy is in doing that?

Yes it's a complex picture & maybe the drugs are needed in cases, but largely the drugs are shit & it's been shown that there is an efficacy with proper/appropriate alternatives.

naominash

naominash

i can fully understand some of the dilemmas & circumstances people find themselves in with all these areas.

i think the emphasis should shift away from biomedical models of labels & drugs onto far more humane & genuine healing approaches - more comprehensive models of psychological/emotional & social help & support. i don't see what the block, issue, & controversy is in doing that?

Yes it's a complex picture & maybe the drugs are needed in cases, but largely the drugs are shit & it's been shown that there is an efficacy with proper/appropriate alternatives.
By alternative methods, do you primarily mean talk therapy, diet, nutrition?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Schizophrenia Forum 3
M Schizophrenia Forum 8