Don’t know if voices are real or not

B

Baby109

So I’m 29, and when I was a kid I would hear a voice or see something but our house was also really haunted so I wrote it off (other family members had similar experiences)

But in the past three years, I hear strange (mulitple) voices when there is white noise. It sounds like people talking and I’ll turn the noise off and it will go away. That was all fine and dandy but then I started to get auditory hallucinations when falling asleep or waking. Three months ago I woke up to a chanting (the train horn outside woke me up so I’m not sure if I was in the middle of a dream) and it took a good 10 seconds to fade out. I was terrified.

Ever since then I’m not sure if what I hear is real. Like I heard laughing in class and thought it was coming from someone’s phone—it wasn’t. It couldve been another classroom but only one other person seemed to notice (maybe just because I was looking around).

Also I heard someone talking outside super early one morning (neighbor? Idk) and didn’t know if that was real. As I am writing this I had woke up to some drunk girls yelling outside. Now, I live on a busy street so it wouldn’t be abnormal but—I’m really doubting myself lately.

I don’t know what to do and I’m really freaked out about it lately. Any thoughts or suggestions....shared experiences?

R

Rebeca1

I hear voices but mine are definitely paranormal, please read how to survive after death paranormal in hearing voices forum for more insight.
I'm not sure if you are hearing real spirit ghosts or not, sorry I couldn't be more help, I would still get this checked out by a doctor tho just in case.

B

Baby109

I hear voices but mine are definitely paranormal, please read how to survive after death paranormal in hearing voices forum for more insight.
I'm not sure if you are hearing real spirit ghosts or not, sorry I couldn't be more help, I would still get this checked out by a doctor tho just in case.
Oh I don’t think it’s paranormal. I just wrote off hearing or seeing strange things as a kid as that. After I left that house I didn’t have anything happen for years.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Hello Baby.

It is interesting to hear your experiences. If you're hearing voices and it becomes chronic and distressing, then its something you need to see a doc about.

Hearing voices upon waking is well documented and supposedly part of the normal spectrum.

I

Inconsiderate

They aren't real

The voices are real in the sense that you can hear them, but the source is inside your mind. Your main goal will be to find a way to discern what audio is external and what sounds are from your own imagination.
My personal recommendation is to drown out external noise, and see if it stops. For example: you hear a phone ring, but aren't sure if it's real. Hold your ears closed. If you keep hearing the sound, it's not real, if it goes away then there is actually a phone.

I agree with burt here in the sense that 1) hearing voices is perfectly explainable with the human condition and psychology and 2) go see a doctor.

Last edited:
O

OddyUmi

“Genuine hallucinations are most often associated with delusions.

https://www.ajmc.com/conferences/psych-congress-2015/are-hallucinations-real-of-fake-an-expert-teaches-how-to-tell-the-difference

O

OddyUmi

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/hearing-voices/#.XCaEihhMEew

O

OddyUmi

This short article above ↑ talks about several reasons why you hear voices. Check it out.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide

do you hear voices Oddy?

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Hi. Yes. Ever since my spiritual awakening.
Do you believe in a Spiritual explanation. Personally I find it really difficult to explain. I did read a study that the type of voices you have depends on your local culture. In India the voices are less aggresive as they are more spiritual over there. In the West the voices tend to be more rude and hurtful.

What are your spiritual beliefs Oddy?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i find it hard to ignore real people talking on the train or outside, they sometimes seem to be talking about me or to me, i suspect if i came off meds i'd have no doubt i was hearing voices

C

coffeerox

My personal recommendation is to drown out external noise, and see if it stops. For example: you hear a phone ring, but aren't sure if it's real. Hold your ears closed. If you keep hearing the sound, it's not real, if it goes away then there is actually a phone.
Interesting that you mention this. One of my big breakthroughs came about because my TV malfunctioned & so I was left with 1 monitor. I used to use my TV as side noise/entertainment as I work at home. When my TV broke, the noise level in my room died down considerably. As I worked my way towards replacing that screen, I noticed that my hallucinations had died down by quite a bit. I started to do walks with no music at all and it's been very helpful.

Hi. Yes. Ever since my spiritual awakening.
Like you, my voices also came about because of something related to spiritual beliefs. For me, not necessarily a spiritual awakening, but rather my delusions about spiritual concepts being shattered. I was becoming disillusioned with these concepts & when I consciously proved it false, my mind 'broke' and that begun the psychotic episode.

Last edited:
C

coffeerox

Do you believe in a Spiritual explanation.
I'm not Oddy but I'd like to answer. I'm gonna say no. Did I use to? Yes. I used to practice what is called remote viewing. In remote viewing, there is a little known technique to communicate. Using this method, I communicated with what I believed to be spirits. It was this exact process that led to my psychotic episode.

Eventually the messages became more and more hostile. When I finally resolved to quit as I had proved it wrong, my psychotic break happened. I thought that there were negative entities & that there was some sort of attachment. I tried everything the psychic community knew of but none worked.

What had the most significant impact was self-therapy. As I dropped belief after belief, the volume of hallucinations decreased by a lot. I was no longer getting supposed 'entities' or 'identities'. The messages were getting farther apart and it was no longer a constant stream of incoming messages.

Through my self therapy process, I realized it's not an external entity at all. It's your own mind. Your own mind had stored an immense amount of information and when you go through a psychotic episode, something 'breaks' and it's like a flood of stuff that your mind can no longer keep dormant.

An example is when you think of something & then the hallucination is triggered. Not everything you think about triggers a hallucination. For me, it has to do with previous topics leading up to the break and the hallucination itself. If I think about a spiritual topic then it can trigger as a response.