• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Don’t enjoy music anymore

S

StuckandTired

Music used to be my life but now even when I try to listen to it I just feel like what’s the point? Or I tell myself oh grow up and stop being such a teenager. I used to be such a different person. I was wild and free and full of passion for life even though I was a mess. Have I permanently died inside? I want my identity back but have struggled with losing it since getting sober. Will I ever enjoy things again?

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

Music used to be my life but now even when I try to listen to it I just feel like what’s the point? Or I tell myself oh grow up and stop being such a teenager. I used to be such a different person. I was wild and free and full of passion for life even though I was a mess. Have I permanently died inside? I want my identity back but have struggled with losing it since getting sober. Will I ever enjoy things again?
Yes you will. I’ve gone through this as well, just losing interest and love for things that has been important in the past. But it’s not permanent. Nothing ever is. Might take 3 days for it to come back, might be 3 years... or 30.

P

Purpleplum

Your interests change as you get older. All people experience being young, wild, free and full of passion and then growing up with responsibilities, interest in world events and in different aspects of what life is about.

SomeSwedishGirl

SomeSwedishGirl

So you’re saying growing older means not enjoying things anymore?

Mikrokosmos

Mikrokosmos

Will I ever enjoy things again?
Definetely. When I was teenager I listened a lot of the music, but in one moment I stopped, and thought that i will stop forever. Now I am a musican. What generes of music you like?

I

Ian Haines

Music will return to being your life! The chemicals that used to efficiently link your hearing with the pleasure centres of your brain are being severely compromised, by the chemical imbalance that causes the whole of your depression. Imagine hundreds of small, metal balls, with current running through them all, from the music to your music enjoyment centres. Depression is flicking away, and is rusting, some of those balls and the current from the music to those pleasure centres isn't getting through, properly, but it WILL!

The same thing happens for being able to (a) feel love for somebody, (b) loving a beautiful landscape picture you have, (c) smelling/tasting food you used to love, (d) eagerness to go out and enjoy a good walk, (e) keenness to see a formerly favourite TV show, etc.. It rarely works on only one type of enjoyment...it's often all of them.

I've been through this countless times over 45 years and the love of music (and, it's enjoyable effects on me) ALWAYS came back!

Magenta Pink

Magenta Pink

I feel the same way. I forced myself the other night listening to music. It helped a little but then I'm back to my depressed mode all over again