• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Domestic abuse may affect children in womb

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Domestic abuse may affect children in womb -- ScienceDaily

Domestic violence can affect children even before they're born, indicates new research. The study is the first to link abuse of pregnant women with emotional and behavioral trauma symptoms in their children within the first year of life. Symptoms include nightmares, startling easily, being bothered by loud noises and bright lights, avoiding physical contact and having trouble experiencing enjoyment.

The study is the first to link abuse of pregnant women with emotional and behavioral trauma symptoms in their children within the first year of life. Symptoms include nightmares, startling easily, being bothered by loud noises and bright lights, avoiding physical contact and having trouble experiencing enjoyment.

"For clinicians and mothers, knowing that the prenatal experience of their domestic violence can directly harm their babies may be a powerful motivator to help moms get out of these abusive situations," said Alytia Levendosky, psychology professor and study co-author.

The study of 182 mothers ages 18-34 found a surprisingly strong relationship between a mother's prenatal abuse by a male partner and postnatal trauma symptoms in her child. The researchers examined the women's parenting styles and also took into account risk factors such as drug use and other negative life events, marital status, age and income.

Levendosky said prenatal abuse could cause changes in the mother's stress response systems, increasing her levels of the hormone cortisol, which in turn could increase cortisol levels in the fetus.

"Cortisol is a neurotoxic, so it has damaging effects on the brain when elevated to excessive levels," Levendosky said. "That might explain the emotional problems for the baby after birth."

A clinical psychologist for nearly 20 years, Levendosky has counseled many domestic violence survivors who didn't believe the abuse would affect their child until the child was old enough to understand what was going on.

"They might say things like, 'Oh, I have to leave my partner when my baby gets to be so-and-so age -- you know, 3 or 4 years old -- but until then, you know, it's not really affecting him, he won't really remember it,'" she said. "But I think these findings send a strong message that the violence is affecting the baby even before the baby is born."

The study appears in the research journal Child Abuse & Neglect.

Relational trauma in the context of intimate partner violence

S

supergreysmoke

There is a type of man, dark triad personality, who invariably gets the prettiest girl and beats her up and generally sh:ts on her. But she ends with Stockholm syndrome and finds it hard to leave.

Dark triad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Women without much social power seek the strongest branch. Why the Tories have deliberately impoverished them. They will be more likely to vote Tory that way.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

This just makes me really sad.
I know how hard it is for women to leave abusive relationships, but this kind of research makes the whole situation even more grim.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
This just makes me really sad.
I know how hard it is for women to leave abusive relationships, but this kind of research makes the whole situation even more grim.
i've read & researched a lot on it all. i think it makes sense that literally everything has a potential impact on someone's well being & health.

There appears to be a lot of evidence that pre/perinatal & early development has a profound impact on overall health & life trajectory.

i don't see it all in terms of blame, & i think the blame game is useless. i do think there should be far more awareness of all the impactors on health & on how we can create a more healthy & humane society/culture.

i think any trauma has far reaching implications, & that a lot of pain & difficulties are generational, & get passed down through different generations.

For me it all comes back to the same things - i feel we need far more in the way of more in depth/comprehensive psychological/social approaches to healing & care within areas of mental health. The mass social labelling/drugging experiment i do think is largely insane in itself.

Am not sure there are any easy answers as to how we create a genuinely more humane, civilised, caring, balanced, nurturing, harmonious & healthy society/culture? But i do think it has to start with taking an honest look at what all the current problems are. & maybe a lot is my own projection? i wonder if a lot of people see things in the same way, or as problems? i'm not sure a lot of people do.