• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Doing things that are difficult

M

Mistral

I have always tried to punch above my weight when it comes to hobbies and work. I see something that is generally considered difficult to do. Something in which I might have little natural ability and then try to do it. For example, languages were far my worst subject at school, but yet over the last few years, I have been trying to learn German, which not a particularily easy language to learn. I have got to an intermediate stage, but find it hard to be motivated beyond that. I am interested in different ways of learning a language, but get very little enjoyment out the doing the learning.

I could list other things as well, but they are all things for which I have little or no natural ability and do not enjoy doing. In fact they can make me depressed. Sometimes when I force myself to do them, tears of pain start to stream down my cheeks.

Has anybody had the same compulsion? Most of the things I try such as learning a foreign language are considered something to be admired by most people and I suppose I get some fulfillment out of acheiving some progress with them, but sometimes I think it is just a waste of time and they are not doing my mood any good. Any thoughts?

bpd2020

bpd2020

It must be so difficult to try things that you struggle with. Well done on getting to the intermediate stage with German. That is brilliant. Do you think you may be happier if you did not put so much pressure on yourself?

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
I'd chose hobbies I enjoy, it isn't worth making yourself depressed.
Well done with the German, be kind to yourself.
Hugs

M

markprosso538

I've tried russian but got bored of it after a month or so. If it's something that doesn't interest you, it doesn't hurt to move on and try something else!

M

Mistral

It must be so difficult to try things that you struggle with. Well done on getting to the intermediate stage with German. That is brilliant. Do you think you may be happier if you did not put so much pressure on yourself?
Well probably more like lower intermediate stage in German rather than intermediate. I hope I did not sound like I was fishing for compliments.

I also, very recently, tried to learn the bass guitar, but found that my two middle fingers are slightly deformed so I could only use index finger and little finger on the frets. I have stopped learning it now and have gotten over the disappointment of realising my limitations in that activity. I am now thinking that I should just treat other difficult endeavours in the same way.

bpd2020

bpd2020

You did not sound like you were fishing for compliments. I just wanted to congratulate you as I think it is brilliant. I would be kinder to yourself. You do not have to force yourself to take up things that you do not enjoy. Maybe you can do things that you do like? Even something like watching a good programme. If it brings some joy then it is helpful.

M

Mistral

I've tried russian but got bored of it after a month or so. If it's something that doesn't interest you, it doesn't hurt to move on and try something else!
Thanks for that. I think learning German probably does interest me, but it does not come easy to me. I suppose it is not in the category of the bass guitar which is a purely solitary activity for me, as I never regarded it as something that I would do publicly or even amongst friends.

Maybe I should continue to learn a foreign language but not push myself so much. I often get a low mood when learning German, but then I see an old film or a news report on TV which has some German in it without sub titles and I find I can understand some of what is said but curious as to what a certain word meant. Then I get the bug to start learning again. I guess I have to be in a good place to learn it.

P

Prycejosh1987

I could list other things as well, but they are all things for which I have little or no natural ability and do not enjoy doing. In fact they can make me depressed. Sometimes when I force myself to do them, tears of pain start to stream down my cheeks.

Has anybody had the same compulsion? Most of the things I try such as learning a foreign language are considered something to be admired by most people and I suppose I get some fulfillment out of acheiving some progress with them, but sometimes I think it is just a waste of time and they are not doing my mood any good. Any thoughts?
You will not be good at everything. Neither am i. Just take it slow and progress will come over time. Good luck.

M

markprosso538

Thanks for that. I think learning German probably does interest me, but it does not come easy to me. I suppose it is not in the category of the bass guitar which is a purely solitary activity for me, as I never regarded it as something that I would do publicly or even amongst friends.

Maybe I should continue to learn a foreign language but not push myself so much. I often get a low mood when learning German, but then I see an old film or a news report on TV which has some German in it without sub titles and I find I can understand some of what is said but curious as to what a certain word meant. Then I get the bug to start learning again. I guess I have to be in a good place to learn it.
Yea I still have the subscription for Russian, it was kind of fun when doing it, maybe will get back into it. If you think you'll enjoy it still, maybe try it in small doses, like try not to overwhelm yourself. I think I do that a lot, where I get obsessive about things. Yea I play guitar mostly in my room only, I'd like to join a band at some point, but music has changed a lot. The kind of music I want to write probably won't be that popular. I would love to just have a jam buddy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Depression Forum 14
R Depression Forum 8
M Depression Forum 2
I Depression Forum 1
L Depression Forum 5