• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Dogs .....

Chris22

Chris22

(May I just, respectfully, ask that no 'Cat People' try to wade in here? Thank you. By all means start a thread entitled " Cats ..... " I won't even click on it yes_zpsdadfa0bd.gif

I just, by chance, read a thread on some forum. About Depression.

Yeah. Been there. Done that. Absolutely nothing to do with my PTSD. Many years before the random incident .....

But, this guy was saying how, in the midst of his own depression ~ Pills. Supportive friends. What ever the UK NHS could throw at a working sort of man .... He found himself helping out on a ..... well f**k it: A situation and a place where there were a lot of 'Working' Dogs.

And, no doubt, 'Dinner Time' was called. And this guy stopped working. So did the Dogs. And he sloped off, to be alone with his miseries. And found himself swamped by Dogs.

Apart from the crowd. Just him. His blackness. And these f**king Dogs. Never set eyes on eachother before. And they're just crowding round him. Looking at him. Trying to rest their jaws on his knees and stare at him. To say: " I Know. "

I'm in f**king tears here. Hours later.

Because, I just ~ in the middle of watching a film ~ randomly just held my head back and Roared at the ceiling. Completely without cause or reason. Just letting off.

Seconds later, I became aware of a heat above my knee.

One of my Dogs had come and rested his jaws on my leg.

I looked down. There were these nut brown eyes, fixed on me.

" Dad: I Know ..... "

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Dogs are the best.
They just know, don't they?
I remember seeing a documentary about dogs, and it proved that they read our emotions. x

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

A very close friend of mine had a heart attack and was rushed into intensive care. After visiting him I went to his house to look after his three children - their mother had died two years earlier. I had to downplay the situation because his chances didn't look good, so I put on a brave face for the sake of the children. Once they had gone to bed I curled up on the sofa to try and sleep but I felt devastated. My friend's boisterous, unruly mastiff/Staffie cross that he 'rescued' and which looked like a dog from hell, although he knew he wasn't allowed on the furniture, crept up beside me on the sofa, whimpering, and rested his head on me. He stayed there all night.

M

Mastiff mom

My dogs have been a major part of my life and I couldn't do without them. Mister Malone is a German/Aussie Sheperd we rescued and he is the nanny of the house- making sure all are well and giving kisses. Then there is my Mastiff- an enormous dog who is a gentle giant, unless he feels his family is threatened. His size alone(225lbs) intimidates and he is not only alert to trouble but to my emotions. He lays his pumpkin size head in my lap and gazes up at me with so much love. I know he would protect me with his life. His name is Puck. I wouldn't feel safe when my husband travels without him. I love dogs for their soulful, unconditional love, the amazing way they are always in the here and now, and the joy their affection gives me.

C

cookiegirl

What is it, a ranch? A dogfighting ring? A puppy mill?

Chris22

Chris22

Jaminacaranda; FFS tell us it all worked out alright ....?

Chris22

Chris22

Cookiegirl: Sorry, love? Ye've lost me completely :(

Are ye asking where that guy met the Dogs?

If so; They were sniffing Dogs. Born and bred to sniff out what ever we teach them to. Or to just sniff out certain things, because it's in their genes to do so. As mine does.

And, here's the damndest thing: It was him ~ a soft and soppy Black Lab ~ that responded to my anguish the other night.

My more muscular, bitey, jawey man stoppers just said; " Oh. Yeah. Dad's having one of his turns. No doors coming in. No adrenalin. Just Dad screaming ~ because he does that shit, now and then. Kip. "

Chris22

Chris22

SilverHeart said:
Can dogs have separation anxiety?
Absolutely, they can! Dogs hate being left as much as we hate leaving them.

I only go away once a week, for just a few hours. When I come back, my little soul mates excitement is such that I have to spend several minutes just returning her ecstatic greeting. Nothing gets done till she's calmed down :loveshower:

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda; FFS tell us it all worked out alright ....?
Sadly, no. My friend died six weeks later. He had twins who were 15 at the time and a boy of 11. I had to fight to try and stop them being placed in care and possibly separated as they had no family members able and willing to take them on but a lovely man stepped forward to be their carer in their own home and they are all doing well - the youngest still at school but the twins have both finished college and are working full-time.